Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any advice. My dog is 7 and has calmed down enough to do well in a boat and shore camping. I know to always have water for him and to beach the boat so he's able to run around a bit. Any other advice.

He's a malamute mix so I'm going to avoid the hot/sunny days. A great dog-he's 100 lbs of love. :)

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Pay close attention to your hooks on your spare rods. Maybe a bimini for shade and a soft spot to take a nap. Don't let him surf the bow.

·
Registered
4 Posts
We have two Labradors and they love to boat and camp. We got life jackets for them. One of my Labradors dove off the boat after a duck one time and we had a hell of a time getting her back in the boat. These make it easy. We let them swim around with a rope on to cool off in the summer. Not sure how much a malamute would be tempted to dive out but we use these all the time.

Attachments

·
Registered
16,631 Posts
Used to take my jack russel all the time. Her spot was on the bow. Loved it up there. She was a very nimble agile dog. Never worried a bit -

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I do have a doggie life jacket for him. Waiting for the weather to warm up a little.

·
Registered
6,425 Posts
My akita loves to go with me. He is a big dog so I don't take him unless I am flying solo usually to Chatty for just a few hours and only when it is mild outside.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had a wiemaraner in the nineties I had to buy her a fish aquariam and she would watch it like a tv set. The dog I have know is 14 but she would go with me to Lake Powell on a jet ski for 4 or five days and we would be on the water for 10 hours a day , she is a pit mix . I dont own the jet ski ,I fish out of a boat ,and that dog jumps out all the time , but she is joy to be around.thus the name dogjetski. When she sees a jet ski know she barks and she would still jump on if thats the way i would ride.

·
Registered
294 Posts
My brother had a Lab that would sit on the front of the boat and bark at the water. After a couple times out he kept jumping in and going right under the boat while we trolled. You could hear him hitting the bottom of the boat.

Needless to say he lost his boat privileges.

It totally depends on the dog. My current dog is miserable on the boat. He's always in the way and looks at me like.

"Why don't you just leave me in my nice yard at home."

He is old and never been much for water.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts