Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Buck and I went out to fish up a little higher than our normal Evergreen today. We met up with catchn and he took us up to the lake. (BTW, if you know the lake, please keep it to yourself) Gracias. ;)

I wasn't going to say anything, but that hike in was pretty tough on me... I am WAAAAY out of shape.

ALTHOUGH.... in my defense, We were getting blasted by some pretty ridiculous wind gusts... upwards of 50-60 MPH according to the Weather Service... So... THAT'S whyI was struggling. ;)

Anyway, got up to the lake, and it was beautiful, man... just beautiful. Peaceful, not another fisherman on the lake.

Drilled some holes and started marking fish... Had one on the ice within 10-20 minutes of getting there, and it was a really gorgeous brookie, full colors. He'd wrapped himself up in my line flopping on the ice, so I just snapped the pic and untangled him as fast as I could to get him back swimming.

The next one of us to catch a fish was my son. NOW...... I want to be the "proud daddy" for a minute, because this was all Buck. He didn't want to use a pink and white jig with a lead head.. he wanted to use the micro finkee. He didn't want to use meal or wax worms (like we were using) he wanted one single salmon egg. He didn't want to fish on the bottom like we were, he wanted it suspended half way down... he baited up his jig, clicked the bail, and let it sink halfway down, then he set the rod down on a snowball and walked away. 5 minutes later, he jumped up, grabbed the rod, said "FISH!!!!!!" and reeled in this beauty. A first for him, a beautiful cutty cutty cutbow!!!

He was so excited, and we were excited for him... It made my getting my ass kicked on the hike worth it. =)

We traveled around the lake, drilling holes, marking fish, catching a few more, and headed back down the mountain. Here are some pix from the rest of the trip.

Catchn Catchin'!

Great trip... Can't WAIT to go again... and I'm super glad to have had the chance to fish with a great new friend. Buck was calling him "Uncle Dan" by the end of the trip. =)

Thanks for taking us out there, bud... it was a fantastic time, and a TON better than Evergreen!!!!!

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
It is nice..isn't it. Try to hike it once a week and rode our bikes up a couple of weeks ago...Looks like you all had fun. Good going Buck.

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hobie, since you invited us up there that one time and we couldn't make it, I have wanted to go BAD!!!

I wish I could get up there twice a week... If I could, I'd go again tomorrow!!!

Buck was so proud of that fish. He wanted to keep it, but I explained to him that we wanted to release that one because it was a special fish and we wanted it to grow up so we could catch it again in the summer. ;)

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
It's cool to let the cutties and such go..the brookies could definitely use some thinning out. Overall the pressure it's received over the past couple of years will improve the brookie fishing in the long run.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Its a great experience when your kids get to catch fish - great to see some many people on this site getting their kids out to fish. I just finished up developing exhibits at Curt Gowdy State Park in Wy. For you older guys, you may remember who Curt Gowdy was -- Sports announcer during the 60s and 70s, also the host of the American Sportsman show (about hunting and fishing). Will share with all of you a couple of Gowdy's quotes about getting kids into the outdoors:

“Don’t push your kids too hard. Be patient with them. Take them to a place where they can get a little action… Kids get bored easily… That’s what I tried to do with my boys, and later on they became pretty sophisticated fisherman.” – Curt Gowdy

“Any parent that can get his boy or girl interested in the outdoors is doing them a great service. Not just fishing or catching fish, or shooting or hunting, but the beauty of the outdoors, the appreciation of it. That’s my philosophy. It’s very important for children to have the chance to enjoy the outdoors…” – Curt Gowdy

·
Registered
385 Posts
Nothing like getting your butt kicked by a 4 year old.:thumb:

In all seriousness it was absolutely my pleasure. I have been fishing with 10 year olds that didn't have the patience buck had. He can go fishing w/ me anytime. Hope to see him at the lake with Owen Jr. in a year or 2 here.

Will do it again soon.

-C

·
Registered
443 Posts
Well done, guys -- nothing like a great day on the ice with the next generation of fishermen and women. :)

·
Registered
342 Posts
Its a great experience when your kids get to catch fish - great to see some many people on this site getting their kids out to fish. I just finished up developing exhibits at Curt Gowdy State Park in Wy. For you older guys, you may remember who Curt Gowdy was -- Sports announcer during the 60s and 70s, also the host of the American Sportsman show (about hunting and fishing).
Pretty cool! I drove by this park and saw the name on the signs. It made me think of the show and watching it with my father way back when. I'm glad he got me into fishing!

Opry - nice post!

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for the replies guys! I tell ya, I have never had trouble with Buck on any fishing trips except when we went out in zero degrees and wind... He does great until his hands get wet and cold and then all bets are off.

He will be a great fisherman one day if he chooses to be...

He woke up this morning and asked if we could "Go catch another cutty..." He is the coolest kid ever.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts