Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well here’s my submission for the Fishslap challenge. It is my new Smitty Sled. It’s nothing new, there are many like it but this one is mine.

I started out with some skis I found on Craigslist at a second hand store for $5. I picked up a 2 x 6 at Home Depot along with some carriage bolts and some eye bolts. I had a couple of 2 x 3 in my garage.
I took the bindings off of the skis and cut them down to a size that will fit in my trunk or the back seat of my car. I burned up a blade on my jig saw trying to cut through the edges on the first ski. I fired up my air compressor and used a cutoff wheel to cut the edges on the second one. That was the hardest part of the project.
I used deck screws to fasten the 2 x 6’s to the skis. The carriage bolts on the 2 x 4’s act as pins to allow tool free assembly and tear down.
My Clam one man flip over fits on it nicely as does my jet sled jr. Hopefully it will pull good. I’m getting too old and fat to pull a sled through the snow. I need all the help I can get. I’ll find out how it works when I head up to the high country next week.
It was a pretty easy project. I plan on using carabineers to fasten the rope to the ski tips so I can easily unclip them if I need a throw rope.
There is a long thread on the Ice Shanty forum called “my homemade $15 sled” lots of info on there.

Some Pics

Broke down and nested

With my Clam TC Scout

With jet Sled Jr.

·
Registered
24,568 Posts
Pretty sweet Tom!!!

What day you going laker hunting?

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Pretty sweet Tom!!!

What day you going laker hunting?
I'm happy with how it turned out, I'll let you take it out for a test drag to see if you want to build one.
I'm not sure what day we're going yet. You ought to play hooky and join us!

·
Registered
24,568 Posts
Sorry they want blood on this project...and this turnip doesnt want a flesh wound!

And doesnt sox fan know he is supposed to be selling that high end fishing gear to buy disposable diapers?

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Well I got to try out my Smitty Sled today. Headed up Laker hunting with Brandon (SoxFan) I didn’t put the sled together until we made it down to the ice. Its a good hike down to the lake so I got about half way down and let my Jet Sled Jr. loose to bomb itself to the ice. I put the sled together and was very impressed with how easy it was to pull.
It was a pretty slow day fishing. We marked quite a few fish but they weren’t that interested in biting. Finally Brandon convinced one to bite. It looked like a good one so I run over pull his transducer and get ready to help him land it. It’s pulling drag like crazy so he says “It might be a while, you might as go back and fish” I go back and drop my line down and my Vex lights up, I feel a tap and set the hook. We both have nice fish on.
Interesting situation we both had to land the fish by ourselves. MA’s for both of us. Brandons was 38” and mine was 35 1/2”. Of course both were released to fight another day.
That was the only fish all day. Great day though, we were after big fish and we succeeded.

Brandons fish; (that’s not a 40” rod)

Brandons Beast;

My release (tight fit in an 8" hole)

Here's another shot of the 35 1/2" that doesn't look like the eye is popping out (it wasn't. it was just a weird camera angle)

·
Registered
24,568 Posts
Good work fellas...the texted pictures killed me at work today!...bastages...good to see the pb brandon!!!

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
NICE!! Thats a good day of fishing!! Must have had a school of big ones come through... Hungry ones at that.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Nice fish peeps!

glad the sled worked well for ya

·
Registered
11,877 Posts
Well I got to try out my Smitty Sled today. Headed up Laker hunting with Brandon (SoxFan) I didn’t put the sled together until we made it down to the ice. Its a good hike down to the lake so I got about half way down and let my Jet Sled Jr. loose to bomb itself to the ice. I put the sled together and was very impressed with how easy it was to pull.
It was a pretty slow day fishing. We marked quite a few fish but they weren’t that interested in biting. Finally Brandon convinced one to bite. It looked like a good one so I run over pull his transducer and get ready to help him land it. It’s pulling drag like crazy so he says “It might be a while, you might as go back and fish” I go back and drop my line down and my Vex lights up, I feel a tap and set the hook. We both have nice fish on.
Interesting situation we both had to land the fish by ourselves. MA’s for both of us. Brandons was 38” and mine was 35 1/2”. Of course both were released to fight another day.
That was the only fish all day. Great day though, we were after big fish and we succeeded.

Small fish of the day; (that’s a 40” rod)

Brandons Beast;

My release (tight fit in an 8" hole)

Here's another shot of the 35 1/2" that doesn't look like the eye is popping out (it wasn't. it was just a weird camera angle)
:eek: VERY Nice fish, guys!! Congrats to both of you!! :thumb:

·
Registered
11,877 Posts
Hey Brandon!! You're supposed to smile when you stick a pig like that! ;D:D

·
Registered
24,568 Posts
He has a newborn daughter in the last week he is out cold on his feet!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts