Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, other than the 100 dollar differance between the two, What are some of the differences between them. I am definately thinking about buying a Vexilar, and was wondering if the FL-18 really had enough bells & whistles to warrant the extra cash.
Thanks in advance, Johnny-O

D

·
0 Posts
I got the FL-18 because I wanted the ability to be zoomed in on the bottom 6 feet all the time on the left side of the dial, while looking at the entire water column on the right side. I find that really helpful while fishing deep water for lake trout, walleyes, or just deep water trout. I have found that most of the catchable lake trout are generally within 6 feet of the bottom, at least initially. So the zoom feature alone justified the extra cost for me.

Whether I'm fishing the ice or open water, if I'm fishing near the bottom in deep water, I almost always am in split screen zoom mode so I can see more detail near my jig but also look for suspended fish cruising through.

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
i also use the zoom function almost everytime i have the vex on even in shallow water. if you can afford it the fl 18 is the way to go, i bought an fl8se last year also just so i could get my fl 18 back from the girlfriend.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
I have an FL-8 and my buddy has an FL-18. Get the FL-18, you will have absolutely no regrets. Or you can buy my old FL-8 (one year old) when I buy my new FL-18...it's that much better, especially for lakers which you can *tease* up from the bottom and see in the zoom mode.

T

·
0 Posts
FL-18!!!!!!!!!!!!!! however last year i bought an FL-8 on super clearance at galyans for only $74.98! no lie! a buddy of mine bought one as well. so for the money i spent, the FL-8 just can't be beat. spend the money and go top shelf - it will last years and you will be happy.
also, vexilar on their web site used to sell reconditioned models with a good warranty. might want to check. www.vexilar.com

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
I love the fl-18. besides the bottom zoom, it has different levels of gain that really help for shallower fishing or sensitive areas. It also has a brighter, easier to see display (colors brighter than fl-8).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts