Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I guess Im going to go fart around at the Gorge in July sometime. Maybe its just late at night, but Im having trouble figuring out what all I need. Is there anyone here on CF that can help me out? I know I need a license for one state or the other and then i can buy the stamp to fish both sides on site. I also saw something about a invasive species decal and a mussel awarness boater certificate or something like that? Please clue me in if you know Thanks!

·
Registered
120 Posts
Not sure about the Utah side, but for Wyoming you have to pay a invasive species "fee"... You can get it online on the WG&F site...

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Typically it is cheaper to buy the UT license and then buy the stamp. Wyo is $14/day for non-residents. You can buy a UT 7-day license for $30 or so. IMO the better bass fishing is on the Wyo side, Buckboard or Squaw Hollow are good launches. Crawdads are the main forage. Tubes have always worked well. Cruise the shorelines, you will be able to pick out the spots quickly. UT has just as many bass, but we always got bigger fish on the North end.

Have fun, take lots of gas money, and as always plan on windy days!

·
Registered
11,877 Posts
It's cheaper to buy the Utah license and the $10 Wyoming reciprocal stamp. The bigger bass are in Wyoming from the Anvil Pt area north. In July think flats and flat gravel points- 15-35' deep or so and jigs and tubes. Forage base is crawdads. There might be a decent crankbait and jekbait bite, too, depending on water temps. Early July surface temps will likely be in the 60-64 range and mid- July in the 68-72 range, depending on wind. The broken rock looks great, but for the most part only holds the smaller fish. There may be fish on beds depending on your timing.

You do need the Wyoming ANS decal. http://gf.state.wy.us/fish/AIS/Decal/ If you launch on the Utah side you need to fill out a decontamination/mussel awareness certification and place it on your dashboard. They are available at every ramp. The final thing you need is to pay the Flaming Gorge Recreation Area fee. You can do that by the day (I think it's now $6 per day) or buy the annual hang-tag @ $30.

·
Registered
11,877 Posts
I don't know whether you eat bass at all, but those fat 11-13" fish from the clear cool water of Flaming Gorge fry up really well, and there's a gazillion of them in there. I wouldn't feel bad at all about keeping a 10 fish limit of those.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts