Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Soooo, I was planning to head out east, but it looks like the ice probably won't be good this weekend. I am now tinkering with ideas ranging from Wyoming to Nebraska, southern South Dakota, and even Oklahoma. One potential destination piqued my interest: Flaming Gorge. This trip out east was going to be a meat trip. It's a "necessary" evil; that's how I can afford to not eat as many fish from Colorado... :biggrin1: Anyhow, Wyoming wants to get rid of burbot, so it would be a win-win. It won't even be a necessary evil, just a good deed on my part. :biggrin1:

Anyone done it? Thoughts? Comments? Polemics? Would you do it again? What about access to the lake in winter conditions? Lodging? Anybody wants to ride? Etc... I did find some information online stating that burbot are more abundant in the upper part of the lake. Other than that, I have never been to the lake.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
You like perch and pike.....gills and lmb ?

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
You like perch and pike.....gills and lmb ?
Define "like." For eating: those are toward the bottom of my list and largemouths are actually off the list. But I know you already know what I'm chasing out east. :biggrin1: As far as fishing goes, only pike are of interest. If I knew how to catch bass, they would probably make the list too.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
My brothers and some of the other fam are headed to South Dakota on Friday! Think you may know one of the in-laws man.

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My brothers and some of the other fam are headed to South Dakota on Friday! Think you may know one of the in-laws man.
From what I heard, one of your brothers is married to one of my clan members. ;) I even met him once or twice. Just didn't he was your brother at the time.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
i think Ashley Bonser will take you out for like $150 4 hour trip?, ashley knows that lake well, from what I hear the ice looks good this year.

·
Registered
7,804 Posts
I have been wanting to do that for about 8 years now. I had even started setting up a trip with DiD...

From what I understand, they're essentially fresh water cod. I've never eaten one, but like you, I wanted to do a kill mission to have some fish in the freezer for a bit.

If you make it, let me know how it was, and how they taste.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I think it sounds like a worthwhile adventure. I have watched a bunch of videos of burbot fishing in Flaming Gorge.

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Basically the texture and flavor reminded me of pike-:p
I ain't gonna take culinary input from a fish taco slob. :p

i think Ashley Bonser will take you out for like $150 4 hour trip?, ashley knows that lake well, from what I hear the ice looks good this year.
I was thinking we try it by ourselves the first day and then try to hire him the second day if we can't find them. $150 per person is not bad, but I am cheap. :D

·
Registered
16,631 Posts
Ask the wyoming guys where to try. They hate burbot as much as anybody-

1 - 20 of 63 Posts