Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

Taking my 2 boys for a few days of backpacking and fly fishing in the Flat Tops...I have a pretty good idea of the area I want to fish, but have a few questions. Anyone would be willing to share some info??

Thanks!

·
Registered
24,644 Posts
"Anyone willing to share some info" covers a lot ground and is pretty ambiguous...you might not not get a lot of replies unless you are more specific...

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
The most valuable piece of information I can give you for fishing the flat tops, is to bring bug spray. They've been nasty up there this year.

·
Registered
16,795 Posts
Hi

Taking my 2 boys for a few days of backpacking and fly fishing in the Flat Tops...I have a pretty good idea of the area I want to fish, but have a few questions. Anyone would be willing to share some info??

Thanks!
Well what area?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The area I'm looking at is the Derby Creek drainage on the NE side. Driving in on FR 610 to get to the Middle fork trail head and then hiking up the middle fork of derby...

·
Registered
16,795 Posts
My boss has flailed that area and likes it. I'm a lake guy so dont know much about the creeks .

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the quick responses!

Can I get to the trail head on FR 610 in my suburban?

By bugs do you mainly mean mosquitos? Deer Flys?

McMillan Lake is only a few miles in, is it worth fishing?

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
I can’t speak to the route in you’re talking about, but as far as bugs it was flies mostly and a LOT of them last year, plus some skeeters, so bug spray is a must.

Here’s a couple of pics to whet your appetite from last summer when I went up there with the daughter and wife.

I love that area.

Cheers

PD

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Thanks for the quick responses!

Can I get to the trail head on FR 610 in my suburban?

By bugs do you mainly mean mosquitos? Deer Flys?

McMillan Lake is only a few miles in, is it worth fishing?
I'll look at my maps of the area tonight and see what I can see...

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
613 is very rough, but I haven't been up 610. I've mostly seen skeeters up there, but the flies can be a bigger pain. Get some stimulators, and elk hair caddis. Keep it simple. They like them skated or even stripped or swung just under the surface.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
I like small little steamers on creeks.... just saying. :smile:

Love the flat tops! ENJOY!

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
I don't see FR610 going through to McMillan on my map...anyone else have better info? But, lot of places to fish there, and I wouldn't commit to just one lake if it was a beyotch to get to...but, you could do a Slayer and hike in ;)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts