Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Curious as there is a thread going on Tasmanian devils that is similar/  which Flatfish work best for you and what colors?

F

·
0 Posts
Actually dug out a box that I hadn't seen in years. We used to use silver, yellow and white on the trout lakes in NM

L

·
0 Posts
Creme, pearl, chrome, flourescent orange, perch pattern, gold, rainbow trout pattern, chartuese.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have about 12 of them that I got from my wife's grandfather. I haven't used them yet, so I would be interested to know about what works and what doesn't. Field & Stream listed the flatfish as one of the top lures of all time, so it must catch fish.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Talk about flatfish brings back good memories. I caught my very first trout on one...a small brown in a creek in Oregon about 45 years ago (yes children, they work then and still do). I like the F-7 or F-5 size, many colors work. Put a small split shot on your line about 12 to 18 inches above the lure. Cast upstream or slight across and let the lure come wiggling down, be sure to keep a tight line when it swings across the stream and starts back up toward you. Trout will follow it down and hit it when the lure begins to move upstream. You can also cast downstream and let the current move the lure into undercut banks, but move it slow because the current will really make it wiggle.

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
Spin Dr. said:
Talk about flatfish brings back good memories. I caught my very first trout on one...a small brown in a creek in Oregon about 45 years ago (yes children, they work then and still do).
Lemme see....45 years ago....I was a senior in college and had 2 jobs and 3 kids... :)

And the flatfish and lazy ikes both worked in midwestern lakes for bass...

The only trouble with flatfish is that they are too light and don't cast far enough and don't go deep enough to suit me... but trolled behind a boat with a sinker ahead of it to take it down, they catch just about any fish that eats other fish.

F

·
0 Posts
Hey, what an idea! F-7 20 feet or so behind a downrigger and looking for lakers. What do you think?

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
I predict it would work, but your trolling speed would be fairly critical. If you troll a flatfish too fast, it will stop wiggling and just start spiraling around the point of attachment.

F

·
0 Posts
Always trolled flatfish behind the electric. Used to troll flies and flatfish out of the same boat. You are right, slow, slow, slow. But it just might work.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Best lure of all time indeed in IMO. Rainbow, yellow, orange.
Good news Walking Eagle, there is a new deep diver flatfish that I seen advertised a few months back but so far SW, GM, or BPS doesn't have them in stock. Can't wait!!!

·
Registered
88 Posts
For deep trolling and lakers I would use a size or two larger than F-7. Walking Eagle is right about the speed being critical, too fast and they not only spin, sometimes they turn over and plane up to the surface.

Lemme see....45 years ago....I was a senior in college and had 2 jobs and 3 kids...
--- I had graduated, had 2 kids and was on my first Ranger District.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts