Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For some reason unknown to me, Colorado apparently started keeping records on flathead catfish only last year. So the state record on flatheads is currently only 2 pounds 9 ounces according to the DOW web page!!!

That's right! Only 2 pounds 9 ounces!

Would any catfishermen out there like to have your name on a state record? Well, here's your chance!

·
Registered
440 Posts
Johnny,

Not many as in.....(all over the state) but there are some in Southern waters, as in Pueblo, John Martin, etc. They don't grow fast, and it will likely be many years before they reach the 100# sizes they reach down South and East and in the Ohio River Valley. Same for the Blues. :D

...and, you won't catch a record fish unless you are using live bait, the Flathead's preferred diet.

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
so how long does it take for the flats to get real big
i heard we have had them in j-martin since about
late 70 and early 80
and if you have ever been to j-martin you would know there is no shortage of food for them
lots of perch , carp, shad for them to get fat on

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Flatheads were stocked in pueblo reservoir in the mid 1990's as fry and then stocked again in 2001-03. This is one of the records that I am planning to presue this year, probably the only one I have a shot at breaking. :p

·
Registered
440 Posts
FishingKats,

I asked that very same question of the catfishing professionals on Katmasters, and it seems that they generally agreed that out here, those Blues would be, not much bigger than 40 pounds.

Now, as I figger personally, they could be slightly off. Here's why:

For one thing, Monster sized catfishing is not as popular here as back east etc or in some California lakes etc, etc. They use adequate tackle there, and catch fish using live or cut bait, but what they catch is specifically what they're going for. I suspect, from what I've seen in Colorado, that many people don't even have the proper gear to handle 40-100# fish. The chances are high that if they do hook them, they'll get break-offs. The most common live bait back east is bluegills. As you know, Bluegills are not legal bait here in CO. So there's a bait problem.

The point is, if they're there in sizes over 40#, nobody's landing them yet. And between the Blues & Flatheads, if they had gotten that big, we'd have seen some most likely. It could be the drought has eliminated the shad population, a major food source.

Why don't you ask around down there and let us know what people are saying. Are they getting lots of Break-Offs? Large fish wrapping the line around structure?

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
the only fish species that can be taken and/or used for consumption or personal use as bait (alive or dead) by seining, netting, trapping or dipping are minnows (except in "c" below), bluegill, hybrid bluegill,carp, sunfish,gizzard shad, sculpin, white and longnose suckers, yellow perch. it is illegal to take, possess or harvest for private or commercial use as bait threatened ro endangered speciesor species listed as nongame in wildlife regulations.

this is what it says in the 2005 fishing
colorado regulations and property directory page 7

a few years back about 10 to 12 years back we had some bodys not turn up out at j-martin and one of the scuba divers that was out there said that when they were looking for the body they found alot of big cats in the big holes out on the lake he said it was way weird to touch something that might be a body and have it push back and then push him out of the way to swim off
he said some of them had to be pushing 4 to 5 feet long
i have seen some nice fish come out of there but no big flats or big blues
have seen some nice channel cats but most of the people down her fishing for cats are eating them they dont care about state records they are putting food on the table
last year we saw a 4 .5 foot channel come out of one of are favorite holes by some guys that we going to eat it i wish i would have had a camera to take a few pics but i didnt like most of the time i go to the lakes i dont take a camera but like i said lots of fish are taken for food not state records

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
No offense but I am going to have to dismiss that as hear-say, and rumors, here's why:
"World Record Flathead Catfish caught by Ken Paulie on May 14, 1998 at Elk City Reservoir, Kansas! The huge fish tipped the scales at a whopping 123 pounds! Paulie caught the monster on a Zebco 33 reel and 12 pound test line. Try and picture that in the back of your mind."
Do I think there are some good sized flat heads in Colorado? Yes, have caught 3-6 pounders myself. Not knowing what the record is. Are there 4-5 footers? I can't say for sure that they are not, but it not very probable that there are. Every decent sized res. around that has any catfish in it, always has rumors surronding stories of divers, man eating catfish etc, etc. These turn out not even to be true in the south, not going to be true here.

[attachment deleted by admin]

·
Registered
440 Posts
FishingKats,

That's one of the scenarios that we can consider: that in fact, Blues/Flatheads of over 60 pounds are there BUT!!!....they have never been caught, because most fishermen use Channel Catfish tactics, which don't address the feeding and living characteristics of the Blues & Flatheads.

We wrote earlier about these things, and that is why I took that trip a few weeks back to John Martin etc. My conversation with the DOW officers there convinced me that no sizeable Blue/Flathead had ever been pulled from the res.
Maybe the fishermen down there don't focus just on Blues/Flats?

The drought itself may have affected their growth badly, and depleted oxygen from the waters and reducing shad. I believe that one day there will be some 70-90 pound catfish pulled from the reservoirs, but I don't believe that they will grow to that size as fast as they will in Oklahoma or any warmer waters.

Does anyone down there that you know of use either 1 to 2 pound carp for bait? Can Sheepsheads be used for bait? Suckers from 5 to 10 inches wouldn't be bad either. ... Later

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
i know you most will not belive me but we just became a
state park most of the dow you will talk to down here have
only been down here about 1 -2 years tops so for them to see anything of size coming out of there no i dont think they have seen anything
and i do belive to target these fish most will have to change
the way they fish but most like me dont have to change that much and now with alot of bait fish out of the way down there im thinking this would be the year to try to target the big ones lot of there food was take out when the water went down
and some times i do use whole and halfs of perch on 4/0 and 5/0 circle hooks

·
Registered
440 Posts
FishingKats

I look forward to your success down there. I've certainly heard that Adobe Creek cats have flourished. It may be that all cats have benefitted in these reservoirs.

Are you boating down there?

·
Registered
440 Posts
FishingKats,

Be sure and let me know what happens this year, if you don't mind. I wouldn't be surprised if you caught some flatheads, especially if spawn is going on really soon. I was told May / June was the very best time down there; but I'll tell you what....I sure would like to be down there some July/ August night

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
yea i hope i catch a nice big one
i have some pics to put up and a few i need to find
just hoping i can find them and get them up

1 - 16 of 16 Posts