Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
16,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Me and my bro B-packed 7 miles into Heart Lake on friday morn. We caught numerous bo's,cuttbo's and cuttys mostly on gold thomas bouyants. Here's some pics:

·
Registered
16,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They don't call me the "Kielbasa kid" for nothing! :eek: :eek:

D

·
0 Posts
Nice fish! I've never been to Heart Lake. Guess I need to make the trek!

·
Registered
804 Posts
Nice! I am hoping to get over to Wall Lake and E. Lost Lake later this year. Its hard to beat the Flattops for a backcountry fishing experience. Do you camp out or head back out the same day?

·
Registered
16,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ivandog said:
How was the trail? Drifted in? How was the weather?
Trail had numerous drifts on the north facing areas. Lots of mud,and lots of deadfall. It is melting extremely fast,though.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Have tried fishing Harper Res and the Rams Horns ponds above Yampcola? I usally go up their on the 4th of July weekend and camp below Yampcola sites 15&16. I think I will try the Mandells above Bear Lake

·
Registered
833 Posts
Chief,
Rams Horn has been tough the last couple of years.
Any recent luck there? Usually hit it in the fall.
Beautiful setting and big brookies.

·
Registered
685 Posts
What I wouldn't give to get me one of thems there :eek: :eek:
I guess that's why we hike right?

·
Registered
749 Posts
I usally hit Rams horn Elk season. I did have luck with some 12",13" brookies at Harper.
Still new to fly fishing but the fly looked like a mosiquitto. Will be up their in force on the 4th of July weekend. I have never tried the mandells I hear it is about 5miles to the first lake.

·
Registered
16,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Black mandell is the farthest and it is 4 miles. the twin mandells are 3-3.5 miles. Slide mandell is 3 or so.  I have fished these lakes 25 times or more. Black used to be killer for big lakers and bo's. The DOW netted all the big fish and stocked little greenbacks in there. [email protected]#$%ng idiots! The others have some cutty's and brooky's. Nice lakes.

I have also caught some nice brookies in Harper from my float tube.

Try the inlet of Stillwater reservoir for some good action on 14-18" bo's.

I agree that Ram's Horn isn't as good as it used to be. They fixed the road in there several years ago and the place gets mobbed. I counted 15 little boats and rafts the last time I was there.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Ram's horns used to hard to get to and you had to be quite. No kids during Elk season. I have seen some nice 5lb+ browns come out of Yampcola trolling the bank. I am still learning the fly fishing. I have caught alot of small browns south of trail 1110 on the river. Watch the porcipines they are every where. Have ever caught anything out of Garner Res. Been going up their almost 10 years not a nibble

·
Registered
16,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I only fished Yamcolo once or twice from shore,only little stuff. My bro was the Yampa postmaster and he said Garner Park was great for bo's long ago,I fished it once and was skunked. I either throw lures or bait up there,rarely fly fish 'cept for a fly and bubble.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Yampcola just below the outhouse on the dam side of the outcropt roostertails rainbow color or rainbow powerbait GLITTER after 5PM I have caught many 2lbs+. Bear Lake I try anything green in the lake pink below the spillway. I have never fished upper stillwater

1 - 20 of 25 Posts