Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
16,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took the wife and kids(2 jack russels) camping and fishing in the flattops near Yampa.Arrived at cold springs campground at 5 pm.Fished the little lake 20 ft from the camping spot and caught 3 bo's on a Royal Coachman.All at 12",could see many cruisers.Next morning hiked 2.5 miles to a small lake.Caught a 15" brooky on 1st cast with fly/bubble.No more bites.I then hiked to a little lake I saw on the map.Hiked through some of the gnarliest,most dense downfall and swampland known to humankind.Using my map and compass I found the lake to be right where I thought it was.Only prob it was a shallow,infertile lake with no hope of fish in it. Got a good hike out of it anyway. Hiked back down the hill through the same type of stuff but its easier going downhill.Fished the inlet to Stillwater reservoir and caught 2 bos and 2 cutts on a bouyant about 15"es and lost a bo' about 17".Fished Stillwater again the next day and caught several 14-15" bos and cutts on most everything I tried.On the way home on tuesday stopped at Wolford and caught 2 -12" bos on a kasty,wind was HOWLING! Called it  a good trip and went home.Only took 1 pic the brooky:

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Nice looking fish... were tou tent camping? How cold did it get? I want to get one more tent trip in but the girl keeps telling me its too cold, wanted to get one with the aspens changing.

·
Registered
16,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah,cant see without 'em! The weather was pretty cool in the morning,right around freezing in the afternoon it was 65.I have a slide-in camper with heater and such,so it was toasty sleeping.

C

·
0 Posts
You the man! Any good hints on fly fishing areas in Northern Colorado that would be good? I'm just learning to fly fish.

·
Registered
24,590 Posts
Slayer I love the Flattops...my favorite Colorado location...awesome brookie...nice to see the fish catching alien didnt fly back to his planet! ;)

·
Registered
16,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nope,never fished Dunckley.It's my experience that if you can drive to it,the numbers of fish might be there,but the size isn't.That said,most of the lakes in that area have the ability to grow nice fish.Hope you nail 'em.There's some lakes above Sheriffs lake that have some LARGE bobo's in them.4 or 5 mile hike.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
This lake is on the North side of Dunkley pass about a two mile hike from parking area. I fished heart and sand lakes above sherriffs and done pretty good. Any lakes above chapman res?

·
Registered
16,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I haven't fished the north side of the top's that much.West lost lake from ripple creek pass has some decent 17" brooks in it.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
nice brookie i wish my home waters would kick out some that size!

·
Registered
16,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey RK, I'll trade a 15" brooky for those 20+ cuttys anytime!

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
maybe we can swap trips i was plum tuckered out after a few of them cutts on my 2# string

1 - 17 of 17 Posts