Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Many of you have helped in the past with this and I hope will again.

Casting for Recovery is a national non-profit support and educational organization that serves women who have or have had breast cancer. CFR promotes and supports mental and physical healing while giving these women the opportunity to gather in a beautiful, natural setting and learn fly fishing. http://www.castingforrecovery.org/ The local Casting for Recovery here in Colorado has two retreats one in May and one in September, they are in need of flies for this. If anyone would like to pitch in and donate some time and tie up some flies it would be for a very good cause. I need the flies for the May retreat by April and the September retreat by August.
Here is a list of flies they requested and sizes:
Colorado Fly List 2011 - Revised

All three retreats:

Pheasant Tail Nymph, traditional, beadhead and/or flashback - #16-18
Olive Pheasant Tail Nymph or other BWO nymph - #18-20
Barr’s Blue-Wing Olive Emerger - #16-18
Regular or Sparkle RS-2 - #16-22
Red Copper John - #16-18
Chartruse Copper John - #16-18
Beadhead Soft Hackled Hare’s Ear #16
Beadhead Soft Hackled Pheasant Tail #16
Beadhead Prince #16
Zebra midges - #16-20
Black Beauties - #18
Red midge pupae - #18-20
Pink San Juan Worms
Red San Juan Worms
Egg patterns
Black or other dark Wooly Buggers - #10-12 (fished as nymph)
Beadhead, conehead or other weighted dark Wooly Buggers - #6-8 (fished as streamer)
Parachute Adams - #16-20
Griffith’s Gnat - #18-20
Caddis or Stimulators, regular or rubber-legged - #14-16
Black ant patterns, #16

Additional flies for late May retreat:

Larger dark nymph patterns, #12 or even #10

Additional flies for September and early October retreats:

Green drake nymphs and dries - #12
Red quill nymphs and dries - #12-14
If you are up to tie some flies for this please reply with the pattern you are going to tie and how many you will tie for the cause. As you can see some patterns we will need more then others, but any little bit will help. Thanks! I will PM you an address to mail the flies to if you reply or PM me.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I have 6 dozen ready to send.A dozen each-pheasent tail-flashback pheasent tail-gold rib hares ear-prince-red san juan & pink san juan worms.Sizes 14-16.Same address as last year ?

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
BUD said:
I have 6 dozen ready to send.A dozen each-pheasent tail-flashback pheasent tail-gold rib hares ear-prince-red san juan & pink san juan worms.Sizes 14-16.Same address as last year ?
Yes BUD, thanks man! Your a pretty fast tier, lol!!!!

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Surprising lack of interest in this, this year. If you are interested and just dont have the time right now, please keep in mind there are multiple retreats this year and I wont need the Sept/Oct flies until the end of August.
Last year we raised 71 dozen flies between the Colorado fishing forums and Cheyenne Mountain TU Chapter. Its starting off a little slow this year.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bud got the flies man, thanks a ton!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I would be happy to help out. I can send you the following flies

Pheasant tails
Hare's ears
Stimulators
Wooly buggers
Dry flies (PMDs, adams, BWOs)
Caddis nymphs or dries
Grasshoppers
midges
Emergers

I also tie deer hair flies for bass and saltwater flies/ streamers as well.

Please send me the address and I will send a dozen to you.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Count me in for a dozen each of: zebra midge, black beauties, and size 12 black buggers. Will do my best to get them in the mail to you by March 30th. Or is that too late? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
mmfishin said:
Count me in for a dozen each of: zebra midge, black beauties, and size 12 black buggers. Will do my best to get them in the mail to you by March 30th. Or is that too late? Thanks!
No its not to late.

·
Registered
11,844 Posts
I am starting to feel foolish about my offer of a half dozen!!! Dang Bud, that is impressive...

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oyey said:
I am starting to feel foolish about my offer of a half dozen!!! Dang Bud, that is impressive...
Haha, he makes me look bad too man... he sent another 6 dozen in and none of them are san juan worms. LOL

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the support you guys have done on this!!!! If you'd still like to donate some flies for the last retreat you have two options. You can send them to me by Oct 23 or you could attend the Cheyenne Mountain TU's tying night in Colorado Springs on the 25th. There are going to be some sweet tiers there so its definitely worth attending!

1st Annual Tying and Giving Back-Casting for Recovery Benefit
Time
Tuesday, October 25 · 6:30pm - 9:00pm
4255 Sinton Road
Colorado Springs, CO

Cheyenne Mountain Chapter of Trout Unlimited

Please join us at CMCTU's 1st Annual Tying and Giving Back-Casting for Recovery Benefit! Professional fly tiers, authors, guides, members and non-members all tying and donating flies to benefit breast cancer survivors and Casting for Recovery Program.

Professional tiers include;
Charlie Craven, Charlie’s Fly Box
Pat Dorsey, A Fly Fishing Guide to the South Platte River, Fly Fishing Tailwaters and Tying and Fishing Tailwater Flies
Juan Ramirez, Hopper Juan Flies
Rick Takahashi, Modern Midges
Jerry Hubka, Modern Midges
Ken Iwamasa, Iwamasa Flies

Fly Shops and Guides attending
Angler’s Covey
Ghillies Fly Shop
The Peak Fly Shop
Royal Gorge Anglers
Sportsman’s Warehouse

Please visit Casting for Recovery's website to learn more about this great organization and program! www.castingforrecovery.org.

Hope to see you all there!!

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Djfan said:
Which ones do you still need?
Thanks for reminding me... This just started again. We need all patterns!!! Please help.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Rick,I'll ship 12 dozen flies in the morning.1 dozen each of Black Beauty #20-Red Zebra#20-Buckskin #16-Prince #14-Barr Emerger #18-Brassie #20-BWO nymph #18-Pheasent Tail #16-Pink San Juan Worms #12-Red & Brown San Juan Worms-#12 & 2 dozen RS-2 #20.Lets hope others start sending some so your collection project will be another success.This is a very worthy cause so I hope you get the support you need from the forum.Thanks for doing this.Bud

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
BUD said:
Rick,I'll ship 12 dozen flies in the morning.1 dozen each of Black Beauty #20-Red Zebra#20-Buckskin #16-Prince #14-Barr Emerger #18-Brassie #20-BWO nymph #18-Pheasent Tail #16-Pink San Juan Worms #12-Red & Brown San Juan Worms-#12 & 2 dozen RS-2 #20.Lets hope others start sending some so your collection project will be another success.This is a very worthy cause so I hope you get the support you need from the forum.Thanks for doing this.Bud
Thanks BUD!!! You've been a big supporter of this and I appreaciate it, you usually give about 3/4 of the flies we collect from the forums. Last year I collected 18 dozen flies. Please help out again this year guys!!! Thank you!

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
BUD got your flies, great ties man! Thanks for being such a huge supporter of this cause man.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts