Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious, does anyone here every use flies while ice fishing? i would think a weighted bugger-type streamer would work well, especially if tied with marabou that appears to "breathe" underwater with even the slightest movement. it could actually be tied heavy enough to sink well and stay down, and detecting strikes would be the same as when fishing jigs. ken mentioned fishing with flies, but also mentioned the problem of how you would be able to rig it to keep it down...which would be difficult without decreasing your strike sensitivity. fish generally dont hit flies to hard, but rather inhale them. i dont ice fish, so i dont know all the details, i was just curious if it would even be worth trying...

·
Registered
688 Posts
maybe tyin up a big weighted stonefly would work, close to an inlet? never tried em yet I think its a great idea though.

·
Registered
24,509 Posts
Rottal

I have used scuds at the Delaneys with success...just drifted under spring bopper with a weight pretty high up to put some tension on the line...

·
Registered
97 Posts
I have used flies at Lon Hagler and Steamboat with good success.  A Wolly Bugger with gold bead on the head has done well, also with a small blade ( propeller type) added has helped.  I do find that a tiny split shot helps keep it down and also helps with detecting the strike.  I have tipped them either way with a meal worm for "FLAVOR", but it does not seem to matter.  I am rambling.... so hope this answers the question if it works.

Tight Lines........... TONY

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
I cant cast with a fly rod well enough to hit the 8 inch hole I cut with the auger, so no flies ice fishing for me... :p Some of the jigs I use look like wooly buggers but I have never actually used a fly dont think they as a norm have enough weight to use properly... if you tied them specifically for ice fishing, like a lead filled scud or something you would probably have good luck with them.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was waiting for a response like that, go figure ;)

how about a "drop shot" type technique? i suppose it would take some serious jigging to keep them suspended, and strike would be hard to detect, but it might work. i dont know, im not an ice fisherman...you people are wierd.

weighted scuds or other flies that were mentioned sound like a good idea...especially if fished in conjunction with another lure or fly as an attractor.

"chartruese jig tipped with sucker meat and size 16 orange scud combo." that just doesnt sound right....dead flyfisherman are rolling over in thier graves as i type this.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Rottal said:
"chartruese jig tipped with sucker meat and size 16 orange scud combo."  that just doesnt sound right....dead flyfisherman are rolling over in thier graves as i type this.
And live ice fishermen are salivating :D

·
Registered
24,509 Posts
Rottal...I can kill you (whats the word Slayer uses...flailers?!...and yes I have fly fished...and tie flies) with what will follow....

"chartruese jig tipped with sucker meat and size 16 orange scud combo."  that just doesnt sound right....dead flyfisherman are rolling over in thier graves as i type this.
The best leech bait hook I have found...the light wire Tiemco 2487 size 10 light wire scud hook...they weigh nothing...the leech swims like there is no tomorrow...strong and needle sharp...never break even on big wipers...bwahaahahahahaha...put that under your bobber...errrrrrrrrr strike indicator!!!...yes I use the hook to tie scuds with...althouth the 2457 works better for scuds more weight...the 2487 in a size 8 makes a great worm hook too!...bwahaahaahahahahahahahahaaa...what can I say they make great hooks...just not always for flies...I wish they made the 2487's in size 6 and 6 for minnows too...they have the best light wire hooks I have seen...

Oh and one other way with that scud or nymph pattern of your choice for ice fishing is to tie an eighth ounce kastmaster in a few feet up as an attractor...jig it once or twice and it will spin for a long time...and take the fly with it...

For those of you tieing your own scuds for ice fishing our weedy lakes (hint eleven mile trout have been coughing up huge amounts of them or have their bellies full of them when being cleaned)...I think weighted ones work better ice fishing...lash a couple strips of lead wire to the top of the hook...that way when the scud goes on the end of your line it will flip over on its back...they swim on their back with their feet up in the air...looks more natural...

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
the 2487 is a great hook...i put alot of patterns on that one, and it one of the stronger ones out there. Its what i put most of my scud pattens on, and in smaller sizes what i use for midges. i have also seen guys using it for fishing salmon eggs...blastphemy... ;)

a scud and kastmaster...wow. who would have thunk it...

·
Registered
16,527 Posts
I have experimented with flies under the ice(does that make me an "ice-flailer")? I have caught pike at 11-mile using a black wooly bugger. But I fish mostly for trout up there and the trout prefer my lazer jig offerings. So I dont use the buggers much.

·
Registered
935 Posts
I have used copper johns, scuds, and various tungsten beadhead nymphs under the ice. I usually fish them suspected for a time at different depths, with a slip-bobber rig, so I can gently jig up and down to the same depth now and then, and when the bobber dips even a small amount, I set the hook - fish don't seem to hold these flies very long once they bite. Works best if you can sightfish. flies are what I resort to at Parvin, which is artificial lures only, when nothing else is working. I keep a kastmaster going in one hold, and drop a fly down another hole within easy reach. If it's windy enough to move my rod tip, I might not use the bobber. Miss a fair number of fish, but if it's the only thing they're hitting, it's nice to even get bites.

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
Years back I found hares ears, pheasant tails, scuds etc all tied on scud hooks for ice fishing and have never had much luck. Maybe I should try them again. its hard for me to ice fish with anything other then ratso's unless I'm laker fishing then its glow tubes.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Hey guys,
Please, don't ever, ever, ever deadstick a beadhead san juan worm on the point and a weighted scud on the drop on the edge of a weed line in a cruising lane next to a natural spring or point dropoff.
That way there will be more fish for the rest of when we get there.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
I got to thinking about this... and if your dropshotted with regular line and then a small leader with 2lb test and the weight below the hook ice fishing with a fly might be pretty effective as the drop shot will get the fly to where you want it and the 2lb line shouldnt be seen by the fish.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I've had good succeess at the North Park Lakes using wooly buggers I tie on 1/100th & 1/64th oz. ball head jigs. usually olive and black work best, with plenty of maribou. I usually paint the head the same color as the body, but sometimes a fluorescent chartruse, orange or pink head works better when the fish are not too active

1 - 15 of 15 Posts