Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my fly rod out this evening to a little park pond that's a block or two from my house...mostly just to tune up my cast and see how rusty I was. The good news was I could still cast.

This little pond has panfish and some largemough in it apparently. it was at dusk and you could see fish surfacing everywhere (or swirling just under the surface) I tied on a little panfish popper and no dice. So I switched to a dry caddis pattern because I could see little black bugs on the surface of the pond. nothing going. I soaked the caddis and fished it wet and actually got a nibble or two but couldn't hook up. I'm not sure if there was some kind of insect emergence going on or what.

Anyway...flies for panfish in a little green stained 1/2 acre pond (or anywhere for that matter) any ideas? I'm sure the popper will work in warmer water. Anyone have any dry or nymph patterns they use? It would be fun to hook up with some of these guys since I can walk over to the pond anytime i have a few minutes and get a little action.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Well with my fly and bubble set up I have really cleaned house with terrestrials like ants and ladybug flies. Ive found that any red or yellow color really gets the bluegills and other sunfish. Might be too cool for these patterns...but in the summer, those get them every time.

Pondfisher

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
ive found the "little" panfish popers are to big for a lot of the smaller panfish we have. i like small mini buggers just a little dubbed body with a small marabu tail some weighted some not different colors and such they dont really imitate anything but they seam to work good for me

·
Registered
151 Posts
I've had good success with a small (#18) fb olive\grey scud. They can't seem to leave it alone. Use very short slow pulls. Panfish will follow, hit it and spit it as the fly suspends. If you can get into a large school, they will become more competitive and hit the fly harder. ;)

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
crickets have worked well for me. Get them huge, even #6. I like a bit of red on them but not too much. We have caught some huge bluegills on them.
back when I still had some fat...lol

We've caught 30 a piece in an evening like these on cricket flies.

·
Registered
189 Posts
My "go to" fly for bluegills is a black foam spider with rubber legs.
I tie floaters and sinkers.
This time of year the slow sinking spider works best in sizes 14 and 16.
When I tie these, I keep the rubber legs fairly short to keep the fish from only grabbing the legs and not the body.
These are very simple to tie, and will work best when fished slowly with a hesitating retrieve.
Be ready to strike when the fly hesitates.
Good luck!

Thumper

·
Registered
14 Posts
Terrestrials and poppers all work well, and the easy to tie foam patters work well. Also consider using some larger nymphs, like a #8 hares ear as a dropper from the foam bug. You also want to try to give the fly some action with short strips. Often you want to just annoy sunfish and bass, especially once they start to spawn.

I also like a fly called a Briminator, which was featured in the Winter 2006 issue of Southwest Fly Fishing Magazine.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the suggestions everyone. I will get out and give them a shot.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I've had great luck with small black wooly buggers with a bit of flash in them. Also, for small panfish, any small bead head nymph also works well when stripped slowly. Good luck!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts