Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those that order flies,

What sites do you all order from?

(I usually buy my flies from Kirks and Sportsmans, but saw some in the new issue of F&S that I'd like to try out)

Thanks

·
Registered
63 Posts
I generally try to support the local shops in whatever area I'm fishing, but if I'm stocking up on patterns and not tying, check this out:

http://www.discountflies.com/

Based in CO too.

There comes a certain point when paying $2.50 for size 22 midge is no longer economically sound, at least for me. Plus I always seem to lose more flies that I would care to. But, spending $40 for an outing on flies just doesn't add up. Been getting rusty on the vice.

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone!

hundor, I just ordered a dozen TBHs from Discount, thanks! Also, if the deal falls through on your Loop rtod, let me know

Duckhunt, I usually do, and endorse them all the time on here. Do a search (on this site) for Kirk's and my name will pop up a lot. Sometimes, I like to buy more for cheaper to check out... My local fly shop still gets a lot of my buisness

Theo, I order every year from The Fly Shop, and really like them. I'm looking at buying one of their brand rods... Their Oswalds Para Ant is one of my favorite flies

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
I agree with rmalling on the thread midge thing. The one thing I don't like about online flies or ones at the store is that it is hard to find tungsten beaded ones, and those that are end up being really expensive. All my self tied nymphs are heavily weighted. I do buy more complex patterns such as crayfish though, and I buy dries since they tie them pretty much how I tie my own.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I try to buy locally (Royal Gorge Angler, ArkAngler, JAX in Ft. Collins and Loveland, and the Laughing Grizzly Fly Shop in Longmont).

For mail order, the Big Y and Blue Fly Cafe offer excellent selection, quality, service and prices.

Recently, I have ordered some emergers and Copper Johns from www.streamflies.com (Philip Wolfmueller, owner, [email protected]).

Stream Flies is a recent start up, and is offering a "Site Launch Special: Free shipping on all orders." This was a $1.70 savings for shipping from north central Oregon to Littleton, CO.

The Web site states, "Stop overpaying for fishing flies! We’ve contacted some of the top fly tyers from around the world to purchase their overstock flies and pass the savings on to you! All flies, all patterns, and all sizes are 50 cents each." Further, "Over 12,000 new flies will be added to our website early next month..."

This is not a shameless plug. I have been very pleased, very, very pleased with my two orders from Stream Flies.

Jerry

1 - 14 of 14 Posts