Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning on making the get together on the S Platte and am wondering what flies should I tie and bring with me for that trip? I will be probably be fishing for the trout in the S Platte. Also is anyone bringing a float tube for 11 mile or Spinney?
Jim

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Rottal can probably answer this one pretty well. But I would make sure you have some egg patterns, copper johns, scuds, and san juan worms. Then whatever else Rottal says. :p

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
heres what i would bring for the river, as a basic setup...anyone else feel free to chime in. most of the stuff you will fish will be small, other than San Juan worms, scuds, eggs patterns (size 14-16s) and streamers (size 8-4s)

all these can be size 18-22s...

brassies
black beauties
miracle nymphs
copper johns
red tube midges
RS-2s
pheasant tails (all varieties)
WD-40s
Barr emergers

for dries, if you find some rising fish...small, once again...

griffith's gnats
black, grey, cream, midges
blue wing olives
adams

These are just a basic variety, as a minimum...for tippet go small, 6x at least...and some 4x or 3x if you fish streamers. if you fish for kokes i usually fish larger tippet, 5 or 4x...

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Could someone please explain to me what scuds and midges look like please? I see them all over the places as flies to use but I don't know what materials I would need to get. There was a gentleman below Pueblo Dam on Saturday that was saying he had caught a dozen fish on a size 20 green bh scud. But unfortunatly he lost all the ones he had in his flybox.
Thanks
Jim

·
Registered
133 Posts
Hi Jim, Here is a link from Orvis.com that has a good selection of flies (and pictures of midges and scuds).
http://www.orvis.com/store/product_directory_tnail.asp?dir_id=1236&group_id=1248&cat_id=5841&subcat_id=7165&bhcp=1

I like this site. It gives a good representation of various flies so a person can tie up some that they may not be familiar with.

Hope this helps.

Also to answer your question about a float tube. If I am able to finish my school work I plan to show up with my pontoon and head for Spinney for a while.

Jeff

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the link Jeff I appreciate it. I have had this float tube for a couple of years and I think I have had it out once and I don't think I ever got more than 5 feet from shore.
Thanks
Jim

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Heres a few that i took for samples....just for starters for you. dont forget your egg patterns this time of year...and some streamers.

a box of various patterns...all of which will work on the S Platte

san juan worms

various midges...

Pheasant tails...

BRASSIES...one of my favorites

SCUDS...dont leave home without em

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I love that flybox. I tied up 8 brassies in size 18 and 20. I'm working on black beauties in the same sizes. I have bhpt in size 18 and 20 already. I can't wait for Saturday.

Jim

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
The brassies are a great pattern...one of my favorites. remember---keep them slim and stream lined and you ll catch more fish with them...the black beauties are really easy ties, but once again keep them sparse...i also tie a pattern called a "miracle nymph" that is similiar to the black b., but in white or cream...that works well to imitate some kind of tiny white worm or larva that ive seen fish feeding on before on the Platte. with tiny gold wire ribbing and a tiny black head it works great....

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the info Rottal, I tie my Miracle Nymphs with "flex something" for the body then peacock herl for the head. What type of hook do you use that allows you to go below a size 20? I use Tiemco 3761 which I love to tie most of my nymphs on but they only go down to a size 20.

Is it Saturday yet? :D
Jim

·
Registered
943 Posts
hey rottal can you bring a few extra? i will pay you for them because i have absolutely no clue ;D

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
I also use a 3761, and i rarely, if ever tie smaller than that. sometimes i use a 200R, but not often as i dont like the narrow hook gap.

Dai Riki makes a #60, with a wide hook gap, i like those also....and they make them smaller than a 20....

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
afishman said:
hey rottal can you bring a few extra? i will pay you for them because i have absolutely no clue ;D
ill bring extras, if we figure out what fly the fish are hitting regularly ill be glad to share... :)

·
Registered
943 Posts
thanks guys i really appreciate that and look forward to seeing all of you :D

1 - 20 of 25 Posts