Colorado Fisherman Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
2,760 Posts
heres what i would bring for the river, as a basic setup...anyone else feel free to chime in. most of the stuff you will fish will be small, other than San Juan worms, scuds, eggs patterns (size 14-16s) and streamers (size 8-4s)

all these can be size 18-22s...

brassies
black beauties
miracle nymphs
copper johns
red tube midges
RS-2s
pheasant tails (all varieties)
WD-40s
Barr emergers

for dries, if you find some rising fish...small, once again...

griffith's gnats
black, grey, cream, midges
blue wing olives
adams

These are just a basic variety, as a minimum...for tippet go small, 6x at least...and some 4x or 3x if you fish streamers. if you fish for kokes i usually fish larger tippet, 5 or 4x...

· Registered
2,760 Posts
Heres a few that i took for samples....just for starters for you. dont forget your egg patterns this time of year...and some streamers.

a box of various patterns...all of which will work on the S Platte

san juan worms

various midges...

Pheasant tails...

BRASSIES...one of my favorites

SCUDS...dont leave home without em

· Registered
2,760 Posts
The brassies are a great pattern...one of my favorites. remember---keep them slim and stream lined and you ll catch more fish with them...the black beauties are really easy ties, but once again keep them sparse...i also tie a pattern called a "miracle nymph" that is similiar to the black b., but in white or cream...that works well to imitate some kind of tiny white worm or larva that ive seen fish feeding on before on the Platte. with tiny gold wire ribbing and a tiny black head it works great....

· Registered
2,760 Posts
I also use a 3761, and i rarely, if ever tie smaller than that. sometimes i use a 200R, but not often as i dont like the narrow hook gap.

Dai Riki makes a #60, with a wide hook gap, i like those also....and they make them smaller than a 20....

· Registered
2,760 Posts
afishman said:
hey rottal can you bring a few extra? i will pay you for them because i have absolutely no clue ;D
ill bring extras, if we figure out what fly the fish are hitting regularly ill be glad to share... :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.