Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What modifications have you guys made to your flip over style hut? I just got one and am trying to improve storage. Pictures would be great!

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
My suggestion..unless you're pulling it with a snowmobile...don't add anything. Keep it as light as possible and don't bring along anything you don't absolutely need.

·
Registered
4,800 Posts
Sure where alot of DIY Jaw Jackers in Zmans link. Cheap Hard sided gun case might be a good idea to keep the rods organized and safe.

·
Registered
16,614 Posts
I removed the seats from my 2-man trap. The seats and frames they are mounted to are heavy. I just use a little stool that weighs a pound or 2. Saved a good 20 lbs this way.

I have found a handfull of various sized bungees work well for many things.

I drilled a couple holes in the bottom to use the screw-in ice anchors.

Dont do South Park without anchors.

·
Registered
24,553 Posts
I am going to mount two 4 to 6 inch pvc tubes with pvc cap glued to the top and the opening facing straight down using 2 conduit straps thingees or whatever you call them (will probably add a one inch coupling connector at the bottom so they cant slide out...from there I will take 2 skis and add 12 to 14 inch supports made of pvc that fit inside my side mounts to get my flipover on skis with 6 to 8 inches of clearance...can lift one side at a time to put on in seconds and weight and gravity should keep them on...should pull easier in snow and remove when i get to my fishing area...

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
I am going to mount two 4 to 6 inch pvc tubes with pvc cap glued to the top and the opening facing straight down using 2 conduit straps thingees or whatever you call them (will probably add a one inch coupling connector at the bottom so they cant slide out...from there I will take 2 skis and add 12 to 14 inch supports made of pvc that fit inside my side mounts to get my flipover on skis with 6 to 8 inches of clearance...can lift one side at a time to put on in seconds and weight and gravity should keep them on...should pull easier in snow and remove when i get to my fishing area...
Sounds like it could work very well!! Pics when you do it please :)

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
I like skis on the bottom with 2x4 spacers to get up off the snow a bit. Smitty sled style, but mounted solid to the sled with carriage bolts. That way you can replace skis when they wear out. Use short skis, or cut to length so it fits into the truck bed easily. This set up pulls way easier than just using runners on the bottom. Helps even on early ice but makes a huge difference when you get snow piled up as the season goes on. 8)

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
I'd try for 18 inches of clearance Mark..That snow and slush can get deep.

If you take an over sized piece of pvc and use it for the four, six inch pvc down tubes you want to attach to the sides.. mounted so they're just outside the upper lip on the hut..the legs..smaller diameter pvc.. attached to the skis could then just slide all the way through to extend or retract. Drill a few holes and pin them at any height you desired...pull the pins ..sled comes down and you're sitting flat on the ice. Never have to take anything on or off..Lift each corner to desired height....pin again and off you go.

and since you're pinned, you don't have to worry about the skis coming off on a hill or uneven terrain. And the attached set up wouldn't take up any more room than the hut itself..Maybe a couple of inches.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts