Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some advice on flippers.....I really like mine but the strap broke.....What kind/brand would you all recommend......I do like flippers that don't require a boot, which is what I have now, but don't like how your stocking foot is exposed to greater wear and tear. I understand flippers aren't that complicated but want a set that does excel in functionality........What are your thoughts........

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I looked up force fins...... thought more expensive would be around 100 not thinking 200.........just for some fins that's nuts..... they look nice....... has anyone else used them.........any other options......

Rvinson - read your post.......... thanks for your help

·
Registered
377 Posts
I've used the cheap $30 fins that use laces (big problem with these coming loose, falling off, so can't recommend those), the Creek Company vented fins with the rubber heel strap, and Force fins and by far the favorite is the Force fins. You primarily impart propulsion with the up-kick, which uses your quadriceps instead of hamstring muscles, which, for me anyway, avoids hamstring cramping that I've experienced with the non-Force fins when I've had to move quickly to cover water or to get off the water during an impending storm or wind coming up. Second favorite is the Creek Company fins and I've also broken the heel strap but you can buy replacements for those (Jax in Loveland and Fort Collins carries 'em). They're the easiest and quickest to put on and take off. But don't plan on walking forward with them to enter the water or you may have full-body wetting experience. The Force fins are short enough and the tips angle upward so you can take steps forward without much risk of tripping, so that's an advantage at water's edge. The price is indeed rediculous, IMO, and I've managed to find them on C-list for way less. And by all means, get the keeper straps so you don't lose one, although the over-boot gauntlet and strap system is extremely secure and I've never had one come loose. All models I've ever used were for use over wading boots, so I don't have any experience with stocking foot models, but have heard of guys wearing neoprene wading stockings over their wader booties to avoid wear on the wader feet, or the zip-up neoprene wading boots. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
485 Posts
I hignly recommend the Force Fins. I bought mine back in the late 90's while living in Oregon. I either broke or had one of the straps coming loose (can't remember back that far - happens to us old geezers). Anyway I went back to my favorite fly shop and asked them what to do. The had an immediate recommendation - took my fins and removed the straps and replace them with a bungie type strap. They are still going strong today.

I also wear a pair of neopreme booties over my stocking feet waders and then strap on the force fins. The booties I have are made by Glacier Glove. The booties have a "hard bottom" - reinforced rubber I guess to them. So they are easy to walk in when you take of the force fins when you gotta head for the potty - another problem with us old geezers. If you are going to spend lots of time on lakes fishing out of a pontoon or float tube I would give this setup some serious consideration. It may be a bit on the expensive side but believe me, your legs will appreciate it.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Any other testimonials on force fins? Thanks for all your responses guys ..... you'd think fins wouldn't be a difficult choice.........if I get some money maybe, just want to hear some good input from you all on top of the information I've been gathering........

·
Registered
344 Posts
Force Fins! I've tried the rest.....they suck! when the wind is howling the force fins will get you back to shore! Try ebay or CL and you should be able to get them around $100. The adjustables are best. If not get an XL or XXL to wear over some sort of boot. They sell a set of tethers at Bass Pro cheap so you never lose one......they sink.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Just make sure they float and are not neutrally buoyant. LOL. Force fins all the way, save your pennies as they are worth the cash.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
I had a strap break. replaced it with a cam strap. problem solved.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
You might want to read this, and then start saving for some Force Fins. You can get by with cheaper fins but this is one upgrade that is worth it, especially if you can find some on eBay or CL.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts