Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a float tube for still water. My two main considerations are packability and weight. Any info on tubes you have used or owned would be greatly appreciated.

F

·
0 Posts
I have owned a couple. Most tubes are going to weigh about the same unless you get one with the solid seat. I like the looks of the teardrop shaped ones that set you a little higher out of the water. For packability, pay attention to your waders, boots and fins. Just an FYI, I have bad knees and a tube is not any fun after a couple of hours. A pontoon (heavier, less packable and more expensive) with oars is an all day fishing platform if you can get it to your water.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the tip. I plan to strap the fins to the pack, and I always pack the waders, so the tube is all I have to worry about. I would love a pontoon and already own an inflatable canoe, but the tube must be packed for hikes of up to 6 hours so size and weight are huge. I have done a little research and have found that some tubes can weigh 14lbs, while others weigh only 8lbs.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Sounds like the old belly boat - inner tube style may be about the lightest.

I have a set of "force fin" that are designed specifically for back packing. google the name and I am sure you will find their website.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Actually the Trinity tube from Outcast is the lightest I've found ( 6lbs.) and is a teardrop shape. Thanks again for the link TonyQ

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm so new to fly fishing that I have no 'holes' of my own!
I do know of a handful of lakes that don't see tons of pressure, and were always productive when I would spin fish them. If you like stillwater give me a shout.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts