Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to Quail lake today and for my first time I used a flaot tube. I only caught one,thinking I would catch alot more, but it was fun. The water was freezing and I could not fing out what type of fly to use. The one I caught hit an egg pattern. Any suggestions as what fly to use????

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Not to be barer of bad news but I dont think you are allowed to boat or wade at Quail Lake... Its a city lake and they are really weird about that. The only lake I know allows small boats and float tubes is Prospect but you have to buy a permit to do boat there. I would call the Colorado Spirngs Parks, Recreation and Cultural Services office, 719-385-5940. Before going back out, I'd hate for you to get a ticket.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Boating is fine as long as it is not motorized. Wading is not allowed.

As float tubing is a mix of the two...who is to say...

·
Registered
117 Posts
This is from the springsgov.com website:

Quail Lake, 915 Cheyenne Mountain Blvd. (Cheyenne Mountain Blvd. and Quail Lake Rd.). Basketball court, non-motorized boating, fishing, picnicking, playground, large group shelter, sledding, Quail Lake Fitness Trail (hiking, biking, jogging, fitness) two sand volleyball courts. 113 acres

and for Prospect:

Prospect Lake and Bath House: swimming beach, boating (motorized and non-motorized), water-skiing, boat rental (paddle, row, sail and canoe), two fishing areas (one handicapped fishing dock).

No mention about a permit to boat in either lake.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
scody357 said:
This is from the springsgov.com website:

Quail Lake, 915 Cheyenne Mountain Blvd. (Cheyenne Mountain Blvd. and Quail Lake Rd.). Basketball court, non-motorized boating, fishing, picnicking, playground, large group shelter, sledding, Quail Lake Fitness Trail (hiking, biking, jogging, fitness) two sand volleyball courts. 113 acres

and for Prospect:

Prospect Lake and Bath House: swimming beach, boating (motorized and non-motorized), water-skiing, boat rental (paddle, row, sail and canoe), two fishing areas (one handicapped fishing dock).

No mention about a permit to boat in either lake.
Thanks, I know I read that a permit is needed for prospect, but I will have to dig around to see if I can find it again.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
http://www.springsgov.com/Page.asp?NavID=5884

PROSPECT LAKE GENERAL RULES
* All watercraft use is by permit only.
* No swimming or wading is allowed except in the designated swimming area.
* Dogs are allowed on a leash in the surrounding Lake areas, outside the designated swim beach.
* NOTE: Leash laws are in effect for Prospect Lake and Memorial Park. No ice-related activities shall be permitted on the Lake without a special provision issued by management.
I'll keep looking for quail lake.... Since they are city lakes they might have same regulations, if a parks guy was to check ignorance isnt an excuss. (usually)

·
Registered
117 Posts
glad you found that epic. The page I found on the same website made no mention of a permit. And I was thinking of takin my portabote to prospect this weekend. But not for 40 bucks! Quail lake it is again I guess!

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
I could not find anything that said you needed a permit for Quail Lake, so I would say thats the best bet for hand propeled boats, in town. The sign at Pikeview says no boating.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I lived right across the street from Quail Lake and floated it all summer for many years with no problems. Way back there was a sign on the lake that stated something like electric motors only, wading with waders, no swimming...

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Methiolate Man said:
Epic, I know you would be the first one out on Pikeview with a float tube chasing the muskie if you could
I seen a couple last year that could of pulled me around the lake if it was allowed. I will get one sooner or later.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts