Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been fly fishing for a long time (30 yrs+) and would like to know what brand name line floats the best for you. I have been using Cortland 444 & 555 for a long time and they sink at the tip after a few trips, is there anything better.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Ive fished the 444 series and found (in my experience) that it wasnt as durable as some of the other brands of line. It just didnt seem to last as long as it should have. It cracked, faded , and didnt float that well after (what i considered) a reasonable amount of time. I also fished the Rio Windcutter series, which i still have on a 5 weight, but i dont like that too much either. I dont think it casts that well. My favorite, with no doubt, is the Scientific Anglers GPX series of line. It casts well, lasts longer, and retains its origional coating much longer than any other line ive tried. The newer "Trout Taper" and "Bass Bug," "Clear intermediate sink" and "Saltwater" series has also served me well. They are pricey (upwards of 55 dollars a spool) but i think they are well worth the money. I dont buy anything else these days. For a guy that fished for trout, i would suggest the GPX trout series...i use the dark green nowdays (it used to be bright green) and think its great stuff.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I got a SA XPS 4 wt. line this fall, grey. I don't know yet how it will hold up over time, retain bouyancy etc, but I really love its handling and casting character. Silky and soft.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Amster, I've had the same problem forever. I've tried Scientific Angler and Rio lines but still experience sinking tips. I'd love to know what line will keep it's tip floating after several trips. John

·
Registered
513 Posts
I have tried Matery and Rio lines, but I keep coming back to 444 Lazer Line.

Put a dab of zap a gap at your fly line-leader connection, and make sure some of the zap a gap absorbs into the fly line. The will usually prevents tip sink. I reapply evey time I tie on a new leader. Regular cleaning/conditioning of your flyline will also prevent cracks which is another reason for sinking line.

Or if none of this helps, just rub some fly floatant on the sinking area.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I've only used Rio and SA lines since I started fly fishing. I started using the SA Mastery Series in dark green last year on the advice of a local fly shop and another local guide. I've loved it since day one and see no reason to change lines. It's performed equally well on a 15 degree day on the pan this last January, to blistering winds. I have from time to time experienced 'sinking tip syndrome', but have been able to resolve by cleaning the line and coating with 'Glide' line dressing. I also use zap-a-gap on my fly to leader connection as recommended by ClackaRam. I think it's a fair trade-off for the performance this line offers.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
ClackaRam said:
I have tried Matery and Rio lines, but I keep coming back to 444 Lazer Line.

Put a dab of zap a gap at your fly line-leader connection, and make sure some of the zap a gap absorbs into the fly line. The will usually prevents tip sink. I reapply evey time I tie on a new leader. Regular cleaning/conditioning of your flyline will also prevent cracks which is another reason for sinking line.

Or if none of this helps, just rub some fly floatant on the sinking area.
A note with the Zap-a-Gap...this a great idea, as every time you trim your line you expose a tiny bit of the core that will readlily soak up water...sealing it off with Zap or UV Knot sense will keep it watertight and therefore help it float longer....and the same goes with cracks in your line...

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have noticed that the Scientific anglers one are the most durable ones.
They are a bit more expensive but they are worth every penny.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts