Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
12,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Jason and I had been waiting all week for Friday. We had a float scheduled with our buddy sorelips (chris). We met him up near salida and floated to Rincon. On the way up, Jason and I BSed and ate subway while enjoying the view. The say started out a bit chilly at 35 but warmed to 60ish after a little bit.

We met and threw all the stuff together. I brought both a spinning and a fly rod for the trip. Chris has a great setup going. Super fun raft to fish from. I fished from the back the whole time and I loved it. Nice swivel chair back there.

While jason and chris ran the shuttle, I fished with a de-barbed tiny countdown rapala and caught two fish while I waited. Once we got back, I switched it out for the float and went to a hopper dropper setup. Maybe a bit ambitious considering it was pretty early in the year, but I wanted to see that hopper get slammed. As we got going, I could tell that the setup wasn't going to work, so i went back to the rapala and caught a few more fish.

There were a lot of fish sitting in soft and shallow water near shore. Chris rowed first and did great getting us on the good spots. After about an hour, we stopped for a break so I could take over the oars. I had caught a few fish and jason had gotten one or two as well.

Getting on those oars brought me back to my days as a guide. It was great to feel that again.

Jason managed to get into a few rainbows.

After I had rowed for a while. Jason had got another fish but chris was struggling away. I was hoping that he would get into some nice fish as karma for letting us use his sweet raft, but it was not to be while I was rowing. I didn't get much technical rowing in because the water was pretty tame but it was still way fun!

Jason took over rowing for a while after that and got to navigate a sweet section of rocks. At that point, I had taken jason's fly rod to a whole new level of catching fish. It seemed like I was getting hits wherever I threw it. I was in the zone seeing all the great spots. I managed to lose a beast in the rocks section and then landed a few more and a nice one after we stopped again.

It started getting windy and a bit colder after that. Chris had managed to lose a few fly setups and was frustrated so he opted to row for a long while after that. Wasn't feeling it. Jason landed a few more and I did as well. Then I hooked into another real nice fish that ran me all the way up the river and then back down about 100 yards. Fish had shoulders! The hook came out about 2 minutes into the fight. I was sad. Looked like a real nice brown.

8 hours of float time on the day and it went by real fast! Great company and a great raft and river to fish on! Thanks for the ride chris! I probably caught near or over 20 fish. Most on the sissy stick.

I think jason has a few pics to post as well.

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
SICKNESS!
Sounds and looks like a blast. Way to show em how to sissy stick. :D :D :eek:

·
Registered
883 Posts
Great day on the water, you boys are fun to hang out with. We will have to do it again soon. Kyle is not joking about the one fish he had on, it ran all over the place before comming unbuttoned. The browns were really putting up a good fight. Floated again tonight with the wife it is so good to be back in the raft!

·
Registered
6,273 Posts
nice! We should plan a CFF float trip on the Ark! I would love to float it, and meet some folks down that way. Love the river! Again, great job!

·
Registered
11,844 Posts
Great report Kyle ( we had to let him report since he just SLAYED fish)... Man that dude had the mojo on Friday...couldn't miss, couldn't do anything wrong;.... maybe it was his good karma for fixing my computer the day before..

To say the least, we had a blast. The weather was pretty mellow, the fish were fairly cooperative and the company was as good as it gets. The rum sucked....sereiously.

I had such a nice time cruizing the river and casting a fly rod. There is very little that brings me more peace of mind. Thanks a lot for letting us use your raft Chris.. next time, we'll try out mine. It was a great day, just what I needed.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Thats a great float and sorelips raft is awesome, sounds like a great day on the water. Hope it wasnt as windy as when we did that float.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Great report! I've been curious how the upper Ark has been doing lately...so cool!

D.J.

·
Registered
11,844 Posts
djfisherman2 said:
Great report! I've been curious how the upper Ark has been doing lately...so cool!

D.J.
I still owe you a float DJ... hopefully soon. flows are up to 300 in town!

·
Registered
883 Posts
Epic, I have only experienced wind like that once. You just so happened to be in the boat that day. I still tell people how we got blone upstream in bear creek rapid!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts