Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While on vacation in Marco Island, FL I needed to spend some time chasing Sheepshead in the inland waterways. This species is a blast to sight fish. Paddling around to docks and pilings searching for them, once you find one a well placed free-lined shrimp is hard for them to pass up!

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
Looks like a lot of fun.

The sheepshead I've caught were out of Long Beach, CA and have completely different coloring compared to those in Florida.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Lived on Marco late 90's for a few years great memorys from that time and place.
It seems like it would be a pretty awesome place to live for a few years!

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The sheepshead I've caught were out of Long Beach, CA and have completely different coloring compared to those in Florida.
Wow, that's some crazy coloring! We always refer to Freshwater Drum as Sheepshead in the north.

·
Registered
9,159 Posts
While on vacation in Marco Island, FL I needed to spend some time chasing Sheepshead in the inland waterways. This species is a blast to sight fish. Paddling around to docks and pilings searching for them, once you find one a well placed free-lined shrimp is hard for them to pass up!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Tuk7P_Aqe8
Favorite fish to catch in Florida. They love oyster beds. Gotta set the hook hard cuz of their hard mouths...

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Favorite fish to catch in Florida. They love oyster beds. Gotta set the hook hard cuz of their hard mouths...
They are a blast! Last year was my first time targeting them and they kept stealing my bait. I switched over to a 1/0 Circle hook and that was the ticket for me. The hook always landed in the corner of their bony mouth and missed all of their human like teeth.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Sweet video!! And nice catch, Thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
216 Posts
Unlike the freshwater sheeps, salty sheeps are excellent on the grill. We used to scrape the barnacules off the pilings to get em going and a small piece of shrimp on the hook with a splitshot.. 4-5 lbers were common and strong fighters.
Thanks for the report...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts