Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone have any particular preference on flourocarbon tippit and leaders? any web sites or local shops that have good deals on this fairly expensive item. i like the fact that it"dissapears" in the water but the prices around town are high. Thanks for any help on this.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
I like the RIO brand, but i think the others you might try will be good also...Umpqua, Frog Hair, Dai Riki and Climax are just as good...but for some reason the RIO ties better for me. If you havnt used flourocarbon before make sure you wet your knots with saliva before you tighten them and also make sure your knot dresses up properly...its does not tie as easy as regular mono and you really have to pull them tight. flouro is more abrasion resistant than mono, and thinner on average compared to regualr mono of the same weight strength...plus it doesnt stretch as much. its denser than mono, so i use it only for nymphs and streamers, as it sinks quickly.

usually a spool of flouro will cost you between 10 and 14 dollars....i think the umpqua is the cheapest at around 9.95.

·
Registered
15 Posts
It may be expensive, but its worth it and you only use so much tippet . Depending on how much you fish, it can last you quite a long time. Climax is the only flouro i've ever used, Rio is the only one I won't ever use again ( maybe it was just a bad spool).

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i see that ligas fles in boulder has Climax Flourocarbon leaders for 5.95 and tippet for 6.95. i think that is a good price. i have seen some tippet at 13.99. thanks for the feedback on Climax and Rio.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I've used a bunch of different leaders, Umpqua has been the most durable. Anyone noticed which is stronger between regular tippet and flourocarbon. I've always thought flourocarbon is a bit tougher.

T

·
0 Posts
as flourocarbon leader, for nymphing or streamers, i don't use any manufactured tapered leader, i have a few spools of berkely vanish (flourocarbon) and make a leader out of it. then i tie on tippet accordingly, which is flourocarbon. tippet is use umpqua or orvis mirage both at $9.95 for 30 meters. the brekely vanish makes a small spool that fits in a vest pocket and costs $5.95 for 250 yards. it makes a great nymphing leader. just nail knot it to the fly line or loop not it depending on the fly line used.
for dry or dry/dropper is use a regular tapered mono leader and i use mono tippet.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts