Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious if anyone is experimenting with this style of bait? The last two years I have been experimenting with Fluke style baits fished on light Jigheads. I had read several articles in In-Fisherman about catching walleye and smallmouth jigging Power minnows, Jerk Shads and Fin S Fish. One article they were snap jigging the Jerk Shads in warm water and then lift falling the Power minnows in cold water.

I caught one walleye at Bonny on a Power minnow slowly jigged on a 1/8 oz jighead and several Pike thru the ice last winter on the Jerk shad. I tried the Jerk Shad several times at Glendo and Chatfield last year when I was surrounded by baitfish but I didn't really fish them a fair amount of time? I did catch several nice smallies at Smith Mountain Res. in Virginia on the Fin S  Fish with a 3/32oz Mushroom head fished horizontally thru schools of Alewifes! Just wondering if anyone else has experimented with these baits?

You can get 1/16, 3/32, and 1/8 oz Mushroom heads on 3/0 Gamigatsu hooks at Gander Mountain. I think they call it their Guide Series? Gopher Tackle in Minnesota has great selection of specialty heads also! If you want to go heavier and snap jig, I would buy the Owner ultraheads.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Neal,

I have been fishing with Flukes for the last 8-10 years.... I lived in TX for 10 years and they are deadly on bass. I have tried them all but have always gone back to the Zoom SuperFluke... My favorite color is "baby bass". I have always fished them weightless on a 1/0 Gamakatsu offset worm hook. If I needed more weight, I would put straight pencil weights in the body of the fluke under where the hook passes through. If I need to go smaller, Mini Slugo's are deadly! put those on a size 2 hook of the same type above... I have caught bass up to 10 lbs. on these(at Ray Roberts).... The small ones are also deadly on our CO Trout!!! Maybe not as deadly as your Vibra-Thins though! I'm waiting paitiently for the Spinney opening again!!!!

Tim

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tim

Do you ever Carolina rig them? I have also caught some Pike on a 6" all black Sluggo rigged on a light jighead and snap jigged.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
I have been fishing fluke style baits for many years but I have never used them on a jighead. I will have to try. I just purchased large quantities spot remover type jigs and will have try them on the flukes. I have tried carolina riggin a fluke no luck. It looked great but... I have heard of people doing it.

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you use light jigheads, 1/6 or 3/32 oz it won't ruin the action and you can cast a little farther. Using 8-10lb mono helps slow the fall also! It's not a problem getting light jigheads anymore with long shank hooks!

Sometimes walleye's like the more aggressive snap anyway, then you can use heavier jigheads and cover water more quickly.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I have Carolina rigged them and that works fine for deep water drifting... I just prefer to use them with little or no weight.

Tim

·
Registered
833 Posts
I've used them on a Carolina rig to catch bass. Oddly enough none caught in Colorado but all in New Mexico lakes. I use the Strike King 3X in the pearl color on Eagle Claw L7092 2/0's. As with most 3X plastics, I put a little glue up around the hook eye to hold the fluke. Had some success with the Zoom mini flukes in watermelon at Aurora Reservoir. Light wire hook with split shot 18" up the line.
Neal, wouldn't you think that the big wipers at Aurora would smack a white fluke? Tried many times with no luck.
Hammer

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I tried the whole month of May last year to figure out the Wipers over there to no avail :mad: They would follow the flukes once in a while but not strike? Caught some nice smallies though! For just sheer numbers, nothing caught more bass at Aurora last summer than just swimming a 4" Yamamoto Super Grub.

There was an article again this month in In-Fisherman about Flukes catching Striper, Wipers and Walleye's at Bull Shoals in Missouri. Maybe Aurora Res. Wipers just see to much, and are educated?

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
I use flukes for pike and bass with great success. I have also caught walleye, trout, and bluegill on flukes.

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey Bear, have you ever tried a black Sluggo for Pike? Seems like everyone throws White.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
White and lemon shad have been my primary colors (zoom super fluke). Haven't thrown a black jerkbait though, at least not that I can remember. You have had good luck with the black sluggo then?

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah, I have had good results with black colored soft plastics in general. I remember reading a long time ago that Pike might be genetically susceptable to black because in the North country small Pike survive on leechs, and even large Pike will eat leechs in the early season when baitfish are scarce? Just a theory?

I sure would like to try a black Sluggo on the Yampa where you fish!

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
I'll give it a shot this year. Course, that'll be 6 months from now!

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
It's a purple (YES PURPLE!!!) dodge dakota. 89...........

1 - 16 of 16 Posts