Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've overheard the discussion on fly and bubble approaches on lakes and such.

I like to fish rivers (mainly riffles and faster water) with nymphs and have good luck with this method and a fly rod.

The problem is I'm finding weilding a flyrod more and more annoying. What I'd like to do is try the fly and bubble method nymphing riffles and faster water with a spinning setup instead. Has anyone had any luck with this or tried it?

thanks for any info.

M

·
0 Posts
Haven't used a bubble but I've tossed a few heavy nymphs in really fast running water. I don't like to use a strike indicator (even when using the fly rod) but I'm sure if you use a strike indicator with a nymph and a split shot, you'll do just fine. Fish with the indicator as you would a dry - if the indicator is dragging then your fly is dragging.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I use fly and bubble technique on the Arkansas by Buena and Salida. I cast up and across. Let the fly and bubble drift down. About the time in breaks and starts back up is usually when you get your hit. Sort of like casting a PM or other lure.

·
Registered
153 Posts
my dad has had excellent sucess doing that on the eagle river in his life, in fact that is the only way he will fish it. he fishes with his flyrod as well on other smaller stretches, but he taught me that you can reach every part of the river doing that... you dont have to wade across the river to get to a pool... I think I will stick with my flyrod though ;-)

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
TimberlineArcher said:
he taught me that you can reach every part of the river doing that...  you dont have to wade across the river to get to a pool...  I think I will stick with my flyrod though ;-)
This is one of the main reasons I want to try this method...I believe casting distance and accuracy (for me) will be a million times better. Like you mentioned...less need to wade and spook fish.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I did get chewed out on the river by some jerk because I crossed a part of the river that I have never seen a trout in, and I have never seen anyone catch trout in... He gave me this huge lecture about not crossing the river... he thought he was better than all flyfisherman because he NEVER waded *sarcastic* and he used rock worms and he claimed that no one could replicate them... um... cranefly nymphs? haha... I just left... It felt good at the end of the day when he came up to me and he had caught maybe 4 fish I think he said... I caught 32 that day... and yes I did cross!!! haha... sorry... lol... Just a little venting... :p

Place like the eagle, there is a lot of water with a lot of fish in the pools, plus its really dangerous to cross a lot of the time. Every year I am getting more and more purist on my flyrod for trout... lol... I just love it so much...

M

·
0 Posts
TimberlineArcher said:
I did get chewed out on the river by some jerk because I crossed a part of the river that I have never seen a trout in, and I have never seen anyone catch trout in... He gave me this huge lecture about not crossing the river... he thought he was better than all flyfisherman because he NEVER waded *sarcastic* and he used rock worms and he claimed that no one could replicate them... um... cranefly nymphs? haha... I just left... It felt good at the end of the day when he came up to me and he had caught maybe 4 fish I think he said... I caught 32 that day... and yes I did cross!!! haha... sorry... lol... Just a little venting... :p

Place like the eagle, there is a lot of water with a lot of fish in the pools, plus its really dangerous to cross a lot of the time. Every year I am getting more and more purist on my flyrod for trout... lol... I just love it so much...
Next time someone does that you should pull up a rock, show him the nymphs, and tell him he should thank you for "accidentally" chumming using natural resources.

When I was in my late teens fly fishing started getting more fashionable. I got turned off because people in waders were walking in the spots I usually catch fish. If you fish downstream from that, you'll end up in a chumming line that the wading boots are naturally creating. I learned very quickly.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts