Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know of a body of water that is good to practice casting with a fly rod. Would like it to be near colorado springs. It has been 15 years since I last fished this way and have forgotten how. I still need to get waders and a few other small things but I have the rod and flies. I'm looking for an open place with enough room for a good back cast.

Thanks

·
Registered
664 Posts
I don't know about anywhere near the springs, but I found a good place to practice/ tune up at the beginning of the year is a grassy park.

·
Registered
297 Posts
C'mon down to Pueblo and fish the Arkansas with me. Wide open, easy access, not much junk to hook on your back cast, and you can practice and catch fish at the same time....pm me anytime

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I do believe I will take you up on that offer sometime soon. Depends on the wifes new job. She likes to fish also. I think this weekend I will stay local and try and knock some of the rust off. Maybe to much and just need to start from scratch.

·
Registered
297 Posts

That goes for all of you guys. I'm always willing to help anyone, especially inexperienced fly fishers, get on the water and catch fish. Fishhunter

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I took a drive this weekend to look at the Ark between canoyon city and salido. I didnt see any place that I could let my daughter who is accident prone to fish from a bank and she cant swim. I would like to try fly fishing the Ark but need a place where she will be safe at. The wife works weekends so I cant leave her home alone. Any ideas where I could do that at.

Thanks

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
there is one spot on the ark down steam from texas creek that has a sandy beach and slow water next to shore maybe 100' long and some big boulders just up stream. next time im down that way ill try to pin point it better. there is a pull out (small one) the area is fenced but has walk thrus and some sort of small sign syaing that some club is responsible for the improvements to the river access

·
Registered
297 Posts
Tony - nope, Bill. Needlesxx, try fishing down below the Pueblo Res. dam. the water's slower, more shallow, with lots of access for the kids. I take my three boys down there (7 year old twins and a 10 year old) and they haven't drowned....yet. :D

·
Registered
715 Posts
I fish down there all the time when am back home am in the Air force so I go home once a year to fish. Do you ever fish the river going into the dam. I fished there when I was younger just don't remember how to get back there. Anthony

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Fishhunter for the information below the dam. I'm still looking on taking you up on the offer for some pointers if I can get a weekend without the kid.

Thanks

·
Registered
297 Posts
Tony - take HWY 96 (Thatcher) west until you get to the wildlife area, take the left fork, and follow the road to the end. It ends at a gate, right at the river. I've fished down there, but haven't had much luck. The bottom structure isn't very good, with mostly sand and silt, and there are very few gravel beds or places that look like they would hold trout.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
fishhunter said:
Tony - take HWY 96 (Thatcher) west until you get to the wildlife area, take the left fork, and follow the road to the end.  It ends at a gate, right at the river.  I've fished down there, but haven't had much luck. The bottom structure isn't very good, with mostly sand and silt, and there are very few gravel beds or places that look like they would hold trout. 
this access is thru the wild life area? do you still need a parks pass?

·
Registered
297 Posts
Nope, no parks pass is required. When you turn off of 96, you'll see a left fork with a wildlife area sign. Turn there and follow that dirt road to the end. It's about 10 miles or so and it'll end right at the river.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
sounds like you can park close to the river would this be a good take out spot for a canoe, ive been wanting to float from canon city to pueblo but was dreading the paddle to a good take out spot

·
Registered
297 Posts
Yea, you could pull out there without any problem. There's a shallow run just up from the gate that you'd have to portage anyway, and you'd only be a hundred yards or so from the parking area.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
cool thanks now i just need another crazy fisherman to join me

1 - 19 of 19 Posts