Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so im new to fly fishing, i just bought my rod a couple of months ago. I am addicted to using flys w/a bubble...thats how ive caught many of my fish recently. I have a couple of questions regarding river/stream fishing. Ive gone to the dream stream 3 different times in the last month and have some observations. Please feel to expand on what ive noticed so far.
1st time we went, the fish were hitting hard early morning until sun broke up the over cast morning, about 11am. After that they hit less and less, then around 1, the wind picked up and we got no more bites.
The weather the 2nd time was similar to first except no clouds, its was 7 days later, and a little colder. Not quite as many bites but steady until wind picked up, about 1130ish. Then no more bites
Our 3rd time, yesterday, we got skunked. Windy as hell from the very beginning. There were hardly any clouds, just plenty of wind (and some silly duckhunters tryin shoot birds 3000ft up) and colder.

We fished the same area each time using midges, black wooly buggers, mosquitos and a few other flys.

I guess my main question is how should we have fished with the wind like it was? yesterday we noticed 0 fish jumpin out of the water though we saw millions of little ones that appeard to be buried at the edge of the water in mud/algae gook. As soon as id walk to the edge a bunch of little ones would dart towards the middle of the river. Nothing would touch anything. We fished all parts of the river; deeper fast moving, shallow fast moving, shallow slow moving near the edge. NOTHING WORKED. help please!

Sorry this is so long, any tips suggestions will be appreciated!

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
I was there with my brother yesterday, same result as yours. In fact, the wind was so bad, I spent more time untying knots than fishing. I didn't even see any fish. Not good for fly fishing, so I even brought out my little spin rod with fly and bubble as well as spinners (it was the only way to cut down on the wind effect), but no takers. We left after a couple hours. It wasn't meant to be yesterday. Went to 11-Mile later in the afternoon and same thing.

F

·
0 Posts
Finicky fish can be a problem but realize there is always a solution. If fish aren't responding to my normal methods the first thing I look at is approach. I pay close attention to my shadow as I approach the bank. If I see fish feeding actively sometimes I will make my cast while I'm 10-15 away from the bank. I've seen people mock me for doing this but after I land a few fish the laughing stops. Another thing to concider is the pressure that river recieves. Those typical flies that most anglers use there have been seen 100 times over by most of those fish. Think outside of the box a little bit and it might just pay off.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
It's true that in some stretches (Dream Stream, etc) the fish have PhD's in fly recognition because they have seen those patterns over and over again. I know of a few fly shops that post "hot patterns" for the south platte, and a I don't know if they ever change. When my brother and I were headed to the Dream Stream, he asked if we should stop by Angler's Covey in the Springs. My response was, why? They're just going to say that RS2's and BWO's should work well.

I know FG and his brother killed em recently at the Dream Stream by using what the fishies probably handn't seen much-tubes and lures. I think that's a great strategy in an overfished stream. Match the unhatch!

F

·
0 Posts
I'm actually writing a piece for ken right now titled "Crash the hatch"

·
Registered
113 Posts
If you want to stick with fly gear . . .one thing I've noticed is when fishing is slow and the gear guys are catching fish, go big and flashy with your fly choice. Like sz 2-4 streamers that incorporated bunny strips, flashy body materials, and/or rubber legs. They are hard to cast on anything less than a 6wt and a sinktip or full sinking line helps to keep them down near the bottom. Watch out, though . . .once you stick a couple of real pigs on big streamers, nymphing can seem pretty boring. ;D

TP

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
troutpocket said:
. . .one thing I've noticed is when fishing is slow and the gear guys are catching fish, go big and flashy with your fly choice.  Like sz 2-4 streamers that incorporated bunny strips, flashy body materials, and/or rubber legs. 
tp...are you suggesting that when there is a lot of wind, the fish tend feed at the bottom?

·
Registered
113 Posts
scody357 said:
troutpocket said:
. . .one thing I've noticed is when fishing is slow and the gear guys are catching fish, go big and flashy with your fly choice.  Like sz 2-4 streamers that incorporated bunny strips, flashy body materials, and/or rubber legs. 
tp...are you suggesting that when there is a lot of wind, the fish tend feed at the bottom?
Fish feed at the bottom most of the time. A lot of wind can actually make them less spooky and more willing to bite, whether they are eating scuds and crayfish on the bottom or taking emerging bugs just under the surface. Flat calm water on a sunny day is about the hardest situation I know.

The reason I mentioned big streamers is that some days fishing with little stuff (like you mentioned you've been doing) just doesn't work. If you've spent some time on rivers that have big trout, I'm sure you've seen days when guys fishing spinners or rapalas are outfishing flyfishers. I've saved several days by changing my rig to the big stuff. It doesn't always work . ..but it's a great trick to have in your bag.

TP

·
Registered
61 Posts
I was fishing the Dream Stream a couple weeks back and a couple times after hooking small bows on a BWO dry fly there were bigger fish chasing after the little guys. My buddy tied on a streamer and quickly hooked one of the predatory bows. I think there is definetly something to mixing things up in the area.

N

·
0 Posts
scody, are you having problems casting in the wind? I am sure there are alot of posts in the past about that subject you could look up, but a good WF line will help ya with that, I wouldn't trade rocket taper for anything in my arsenal. A fast action rod will help ya out too.
I agree, think outside the box, or rather think through your box,fly box that is, the entire thing. When nothing is working I go to "old reliables", and when that doesn't work, I try flys I haven't touched in years. Sometimes you just gotta beat it up until you find something that works.
I have to disagree with silicone boy, I think that for as much as the denizens of "the dream stream" see BWOs,tricos,rs2s,san juans, copper johns, blood midges, and griffiths gnats they are pretty easy to catch. Not fly recognition,  but presentation is what those fish key in on.
Being a newbie to flyfishing this will come in time, sometimes later than sooner. But you know what they say practice makes,well, makes ya better anyway.
80 percent of a trouts diet(especially big trout) is taken  subsurface. Those rare treats,and they are treats for us, mayfly,stone, and caddis hatches make up the other 20 percent.
fishinguitars mentioned a great technique that i use frequently on sunny days, although it does make line mending somewhat of a challenge(but you get the hang of it), on sunny days when fish are spooky, stand a little back off the bank, or watch your shadow and find a place in the river where it doesn't cast on a run you wanna fish.
Keep to it, it only gets better.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
awesome nogooddrtytroutbum, thx for all the great info to consider!

ive taken alot of different good things for me to try.
it seems like a lot of extra work than what im used to, but  it will pay off if im catching fish!

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I have hurd reports of Tricos still coming off on the dream stream believe it or not. Although I will assume this is ending quickly. There should be no reason why wind will push fish down accept for the fact that it makes rises less noticable and it can mess a good hatch up because whatever is coming off can't quite get down. or stay on the surface of the water. Rest assured though, their are still insects laying eggs and feeding occuring. The biggest problem people run into with the wind is just the same problem the bugs have, its hard to spend a lot of time on the water. Often times the wind can create a rats nest with your rig. Overcoming this and NFing (no factor) the wind as I call it will come with experience. In time, the most harsh winds will become you friend as it creates a slight chop on the water which better distorts sun light and your presence. If fish are rising I will throw dries. However, I am really big on streamer fishing on the dream stream. I like to cast as far up stream as possible and then rip it back very quickly. As water temps cool into the low 40's you may want to slow it down just a bit though. Streamers are also less likely to tangle then are nymph rigs. Just be sure not to put one in the back of your ear with the wind blowing hard across your casting side!

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
streamers get my vote too!! .... swimbaits too

i caught a 18-20" rainbow in upper waterton canyon with a size 14 wet fly i made, cahill looking - that fish got away, it saw me & spit the hook - then same day, same spot caught a nice 13" rainbow with a size 10 Hornburg streamer (store bought) - that fish was released, was in upper section (16" is minimum)

Anyways - i went home and made a huge rainbow hornburg looking streamer - used a large bait hook so i was sure not to lose a fish if it hits - had metallic rainbow thread body, thick deer hairs, orange brown hackle, brown duck flank feathers and some rainbow threads mixed in with deer fibers ... came out pretty cool after a few attempts of tying it right .. i wanted to hook that hog again

went back to where i lost that huge bow and about 4th cast caught a 15.5" rainbow- drifting the fly.
1/2 inch to being a keeper .. oh well ... she's still out there ... I also caught a couple smaller ones with that fly

the photo below is the 15.5", the guy who took the photo couldnt believe what i caught it with ... he was like "thats huge!!!!" .. he was using tiny copper johns

stir things up man!!! 
ive been tryin rapalas & various swimbaits lately, Also try POWERBAIT BLADEDANCERS / RAINBOW PATTERN, theyre small w/ great swimming action ... WORK GREAT !!!!  Im not fly fishing near as much & getting same results w/ lures - also been catching some bass in the ponds, a nice change from river trout ... good luck

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi: My name is Guy Montera. I live in Buena Vista. We have about 3 lakes that are open around the area now. I only fish with a fly and bubble and my average catch is 20-30 fish a day. If you would like more information; please feel free to contact me a 719-395-6595 or email me at [email protected]. I would be more that happy to send you some information about fly and bubble fishing. There are over 50 lakes that you can drive to in and around Buena Vista. Have to wait until the lakes open up from ice up. Can be some great fishing. Hope I can help you and others catch more fish. Guy

·
Registered
91 Posts
Welcome Guy!!!!.. Keep us posted on the lakes there..we need some fresh stories, get away from Quincy, Aurora, dream stream and the like...make sure to introduce yourself in some of the other catagories Pikester01 (Allan)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts