Colorado Fisherman Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was at the miracle mile this weekend. It was so windy I couldn't hear myself think. Couldn't cast either. Luckily my family was 15 minutes away at Seminoe with a boat so we got fish that way but man was I disappointed with the conditions up there. Any advice for fly fishing in high wind?

· Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I worked out a little system where I would let the line run downstream below me and I would lift the line out of the water and toss it straight upstream. This allowed me to work straight upstream but I was very limited in what direction I could cast. It also meant that my fly would come straight down the river toward me and it ended up hooked in my waders more than once. I tried casting low to get under the wind but this wind was so strong that even down low it blew my rig all over the place and my cast was turned back on itself. I think there are some days where fly fishing just isn't in the cards. This was one of them.

· Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I have one sinking line and it doesn't sink that fast so I don't use it that much but sinking lines are easier to cast in the wind. As I said, I think changing tactics is part of the answer. No 60 foot dry fly fishing- switch to short line nymphing, etc.
I found shore fishing more difficult than being out wading but I was nymphing. When in the water the line has nothing to snag on when I go to cast and the wind takes it. I tried from shore and after snagging on every bush I waded out a bit and that eliminated the snagging from the equation.

· Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
So part of your issue is the back cast tangling on underbrush? The standard technique is to roll cast when there is a lot of brush behind you.
And, don't give up!!! I don't care how challenged you may feel at the start, keep plugging away and you'll catch some fish. After some time you'll make less mistakes, spook less fish, learn the nuances of casting, but the important thing is to get out there and do it. Everyone goes through that stage, no one starts out an expert fly caster. I like what Lee Wulff wrote; that fly casting was NOT easy, it was hard, that's why there are books and books and schools, etc. on the subject. BUT trout are bug eating fish. Fly fishing is the way to get them.
Story time: I started fishing seriously when I was maybe 12 years old. I bought a spinning reel and an assortment of spinners and spoons. I cast from shore into some rapids and lost a lure on every cast. I then tried pools but there weren't many fish. One evening, on the way to a pool I saw a guy fly fishing at the rapids where I lost all my lures. I asked him if he had caught anything.
"Not yet but last night I caught 6 trout"
That was big time news to me. I watched him for a while, the floating line, the floating fly, nothing to snag. I saved up my money and bought a Eagle Claw Fiberglass 7 1/2' fly rod, a Pfluger reel, a dt floating fly line and some flies, and waded wet and more often than not came home with a trout or two. That was many years ago and in those days I ate all the trout I caught. Now I am purely catch and release.
I'll bet a lot of folks have a similar past.
Great post and rest assured I have no plans of giving up. I am new to fly fishing. That was literally my fourth time on the river and I had never encountered that kind of wind. The purpose of this thread is to learn from this and come back next time with a vengeance and conquer that wind.

I am new to this sport. I like fly fishing because it is something that I can learn a lot about and the learning will never end. I do not see this as a bump in the road but an opportunity to learn something new.

Great post man. Thank you for the advice.

· Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
This may sound silly, but you need to spend some time just learning to cast, and then learn to fish. This is entirely two different things. I would say that about 80% of fly fisherman can't cast very well. Most people get by being able to lob a fly into the general area.

Go watch some videos on YouTube. Look at just basic casting, then single haul and roll casting. Next get a hoola-hoop take it to a grassy place and start trying all the different stuff you watched. When you are fairly accurate out to about 30 feet you are ready to take it to the water. Practice casting 360 degrees around the target, and vary your distance, so you end up casting with different winds. Nothing helps cast into the wind better than solid casting fundamentals. Trust me, focusing a little extra time now will pay off big time in the future.
I did take a casting class and did some work with a buddy of mine so I have a good idea of what I need to do. I don't cast perfect but am improving. Wen fishing Friday and did fine. That wind up there was murder though.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.