Colorado Fisherman Forum banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

· Registered
542 Posts
To be honest, around here during windy season (spring) and sometimes in the summer you really should just size up the rod you're using. I know that in windy situations I'm using a 6wt most of the time. That extra backbone helps punch through the wind and takes less of a toll on your arm.

But, if you don't have that luxury, try keeping your backcast high going with the wind and your forward cast low going against the wind (or vice versa depending on the direction of your cast and the wind direction).

· Registered
1,603 Posts
Wind just plain out sucks! It is my least favorite natural element when fishing or trying to row a boat into the wind. No real solution to battling the wind, but some good suggestions above how certain adjustments can help make you a more efficient caster in the wind. Spend some more time in Wyoming and I'm sure you will perfect a technique. You will be forced to up there 8)

· Registered
63 Posts
I have one sinking line and it doesn't sink that fast so I don't use it that much but sinking lines are easier to cast in the wind. As I said, I think changing tactics is part of the answer. No 60 foot dry fly fishing- switch to short line nymphing, etc.

· Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I have one sinking line and it doesn't sink that fast so I don't use it that much but sinking lines are easier to cast in the wind. As I said, I think changing tactics is part of the answer. No 60 foot dry fly fishing- switch to short line nymphing, etc.
I found shore fishing more difficult than being out wading but I was nymphing. When in the water the line has nothing to snag on when I go to cast and the wind takes it. I tried from shore and after snagging on every bush I waded out a bit and that eliminated the snagging from the equation.

· Registered
63 Posts
I found shore fishing more difficult than being out wading but I was nymphing. When in the water the line has nothing to snag on when I go to cast and the wind takes it.
So part of your issue is the back cast tangling on underbrush? The standard technique is to roll cast when there is a lot of brush behind you.
And, don't give up!!! I don't care how challenged you may feel at the start, keep plugging away and you'll catch some fish. After some time you'll make less mistakes, spook less fish, learn the nuances of casting, but the important thing is to get out there and do it. Everyone goes through that stage, no one starts out an expert fly caster. I like what Lee Wulff wrote; that fly casting was NOT easy, it was hard, that's why there are books and books and schools, etc. on the subject. BUT trout are bug eating fish. Fly fishing is the way to get them.
Story time: I started fishing seriously when I was maybe 12 years old. I bought a spinning reel and an assortment of spinners and spoons. I cast from shore into some rapids and lost a lure on every cast. I then tried pools but there weren't many fish. One evening, on the way to a pool I saw a guy fly fishing at the rapids where I lost all my lures. I asked him if he had caught anything.
"Not yet but last night I caught 6 trout"
That was big time news to me. I watched him for a while, the floating line, the floating fly, nothing to snag. I saved up my money and bought a Eagle Claw Fiberglass 7 1/2' fly rod, a Pfluger reel, a dt floating fly line and some flies, and waded wet and more often than not came home with a trout or two. That was many years ago and in those days I ate all the trout I caught. Now I am purely catch and release.
I'll bet a lot of folks have a similar past.

· Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
So part of your issue is the back cast tangling on underbrush? The standard technique is to roll cast when there is a lot of brush behind you.
And, don't give up!!! I don't care how challenged you may feel at the start, keep plugging away and you'll catch some fish. After some time you'll make less mistakes, spook less fish, learn the nuances of casting, but the important thing is to get out there and do it. Everyone goes through that stage, no one starts out an expert fly caster. I like what Lee Wulff wrote; that fly casting was NOT easy, it was hard, that's why there are books and books and schools, etc. on the subject. BUT trout are bug eating fish. Fly fishing is the way to get them.
Story time: I started fishing seriously when I was maybe 12 years old. I bought a spinning reel and an assortment of spinners and spoons. I cast from shore into some rapids and lost a lure on every cast. I then tried pools but there weren't many fish. One evening, on the way to a pool I saw a guy fly fishing at the rapids where I lost all my lures. I asked him if he had caught anything.
"Not yet but last night I caught 6 trout"
That was big time news to me. I watched him for a while, the floating line, the floating fly, nothing to snag. I saved up my money and bought a Eagle Claw Fiberglass 7 1/2' fly rod, a Pfluger reel, a dt floating fly line and some flies, and waded wet and more often than not came home with a trout or two. That was many years ago and in those days I ate all the trout I caught. Now I am purely catch and release.
I'll bet a lot of folks have a similar past.
Great post and rest assured I have no plans of giving up. I am new to fly fishing. That was literally my fourth time on the river and I had never encountered that kind of wind. The purpose of this thread is to learn from this and come back next time with a vengeance and conquer that wind.

I am new to this sport. I like fly fishing because it is something that I can learn a lot about and the learning will never end. I do not see this as a bump in the road but an opportunity to learn something new.

Great post man. Thank you for the advice.

· Registered
63 Posts
Fly fishing is a truly great sport with a life time of learning. There is so much to it, the insect life, the fish, tying your own flies. The places you normally fly fish are going to be scenic. It is also one of the few forms of fishing that you can actually get some exercise, wading in rough water can get you tired. The other great thing is all you need is your rod, reel, flies and a way to get to the river. Bass fisherman with boats, motors, trailers, fish finders, trolling motors, etc. etc. etc. I've done that and you spend a lot of time just messing with all the equipment. I love fly fishing. Welcome aboard.

· Registered
225 Posts
couple things. One, roll casting is a great technique with high trees and brush behind you and learning to water load and do a single spey or learning to do a Sap T with your single handed rod.

Second, learning to deal with the "10 and 2" myth. When Ive fished with many new guys they have this image of 10 and 2 in their head. So they move the rod along that arc which causes the back cast to drop low and you loose power on the forward cast.

The casting is not along the arc, it is your hand moving from a 10 oclock position to a 2 oclock position in a straight line. When I have high brush, I go more like 10 to 1.

To visualize, look at the horizon and trees behind you. Think 20ft up in that tree. Now on your backcast, make your arm and rod shoot line toward that high point on the back cast.

This gets the line above brush, and will keep a tighter loop.

here is one of the better videos ive seen on wind casts

http://howtoflyfish.orvis.com/video-lessons/chapter-two-bass-fly-fishing/281-tips-for-casting-bass-bugs

· Registered
63 Posts
There is a lot of variety in casting. George Harvey of PA did a "snap" like opening a screen door, at the end of his forward cast. Lee Wulff came up with sort of a continuous oval cast where pressure on the line was continuous- no pause. The salt water guys destroy the 10- 2 rule by going way back. I generally try to keep it pretty much on the 10-2 thing, getting to where the line flows out in front and then drops like a feather. That is really important. same with the pick up. Don't "rip" the line off the water- you'll spook every fish.
You must find your own way grass hopper.;D

· Registered
883 Posts
That was literally my fourth time on the river and I had never encountered that kind of wind.
This may sound silly, but you need to spend some time just learning to cast, and then learn to fish. This is entirely two different things. I would say that about 80% of fly fisherman can't cast very well. Most people get by being able to lob a fly into the general area.

Go watch some videos on YouTube. Look at just basic casting, then single haul and roll casting. Next get a hoola-hoop take it to a grassy place and start trying all the different stuff you watched. When you are fairly accurate out to about 30 feet you are ready to take it to the water. Practice casting 360 degrees around the target, and vary your distance, so you end up casting with different winds. Nothing helps cast into the wind better than solid casting fundamentals. Trust me, focusing a little extra time now will pay off big time in the future.

· Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
This may sound silly, but you need to spend some time just learning to cast, and then learn to fish. This is entirely two different things. I would say that about 80% of fly fisherman can't cast very well. Most people get by being able to lob a fly into the general area.

Go watch some videos on YouTube. Look at just basic casting, then single haul and roll casting. Next get a hoola-hoop take it to a grassy place and start trying all the different stuff you watched. When you are fairly accurate out to about 30 feet you are ready to take it to the water. Practice casting 360 degrees around the target, and vary your distance, so you end up casting with different winds. Nothing helps cast into the wind better than solid casting fundamentals. Trust me, focusing a little extra time now will pay off big time in the future.
I did take a casting class and did some work with a buddy of mine so I have a good idea of what I need to do. I don't cast perfect but am improving. Wen fishing Friday and did fine. That wind up there was murder though.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.