Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok, it's time to put on your thinking caps.

When I taught fishing, the classes consisted of the usual, you know, entomology, equipment and such. I would try to get my students to think by asking the question, "when is the fly fisherman's new year and why"?

This is something that dawned on me, one day, so I decided to incorporate it in the classes. For the student who came up with the right date, within a day or two (there's one hint for you) and the reason, I would give them a small care package of tippets, leaders and a few flies. I would also give them hints, which actually made the answer a bit more difficult. The hints are.

1. It isn't the first day of the new year.
2. It isn't Mother's Day
3. It isn't the first day of spring.
4. It isn't Christmas day.

I also told them they would likely not find the answer by calling a local fly shop.

I don't have a care package to give you but I'll ask the question anyway.

When is the fly fisherman's new year and why?

It's the 'why' part that's more important.

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
I honestly have no idea. I cannot think of a single specific date in the year that has dependable significance in the fishing world. Events such as ice off, ice on, runoff, hatches, tailwater flow fluctuations, weather fronts, barometric pressure, moon phase, spawn, baitfish activity (straying from fly fishing a bit) and water temperatures are what my world revolves around.

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
April 1st, aka "April Fool's Day" because only fools spend so much time trying to catch fish only to take a picture and release them!

·
Registered
271 Posts
I guess I would say it depends on the year. Some years when I'm tired of tying and not fishing. Other years when I can tolerate the cold water and the air temperature is above freezing.

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
I never dove too deeply into entomology, so I'm not the one to know this answer. I discovered the dark side of fly fishing a tad early, and thus skipped over the deep understanding of bugs. Kinda like when I figured out that I didn't need to learn to read music in order to use my guitar to get into girl's pants, hiiiii-ooooo. This guy and also catches big fish!

I'm so lonely

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Off everything Tang mentioned not a single event starts or ends my sissy sticking year. The only thing I can think of is the first "hatch" of the year. But that would make you a queer (as in odd)dry fly only guy. That's my guess.

Side story, some old dude on the Taylor walked up and asked how the action was. When I told him I caught a couple on nymphs he says " Yuck , you just said the "N" word ". What a goofy ******* that guy was.

·
Registered
16,631 Posts
Im guessing in the fall when the terrestrials die off.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
I hope this turns out to be a really funny joke.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Slayerfish,

Part of your answer about terrestrials in the fall is part of the "why" or sort of part of the "why".

All,

Being an entomologist is not critical in this situation.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
macman, it sucks because you don't know the answer.

You could call it a game or a joke but it's more of a learning experience. I'll bet all of you have thought about this, in one way or another, and don't know you are doing it. All of you who fish YEAR ROUND in Colorado are faced with this.

I know, when you learn the answer, macman and others will come back with how silly or stupid this is but you'll have to admit, it explains a lot.

Here are two more hints that it isn't.

It isn't the day trout season opens in states where there are seasons.

It isn't the first fish you catch each year.

·
Registered
206 Posts
May 1st when irrigation season starts and water is released from the reservoirs making tailwaters fishable

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 46 Posts