Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any experience in the Corpus area. Gonna be there for about 5 days visiting friends, so will have some time to wet a line. I've found some links that talk about red fish locations, but was wondering if anyone here might have some first had experience.

Also, any good red fish fly recommendations would be helpful.

Thanks.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I'll be staying walking distance of Oso Creek. Got any experience with that area? I won't have a boat or Kayak unfortunately. Do I need waders? I was planning to take an 8 wt., sound reasonable? What other gear might I need? Keep in mind, i'm a Colorado native, and my only fly fishing experience has been in Colorado rivers and streams for trout, and Oregon for steelhead. I've never fished anything like this, but this is my one chance to give it a go, and I don't want to pass that up just because i'm a newb to it. Thanks.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've made a few calls today (since I posted this originally this morning), and if I can convince the wife, I think i'm going to go the guide route. Prices range from about $450-$500 for a day trip for 2 people. Does that sound reasonable to you all? They take you out on the flats for redfish, all gear you need included. I think doing that would be way better then me trying to wade around in parts unknown trying to DIY in a place I know nothing about. I've never used a guide for anything, hunting or fishing, because I think half of the fun is doing it yourself and the learning process you go through. But in this case, I basically will only go fishing one day, so I want to make the most of it.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So the trip was pretty good. I ended up not getting a guide. Just cost too much to justify for this trip. Maybe in the future. I brought an 8wt though, and I picked up some flys called deceivers in several different colors, and some called "Gotchas". I caught everything on the white and red colored deceivers and a white Gotcha.

The first day I fished Packery Channel. Good flats to wade there, and the fish where everywhere. I hooked one small Redfish (about 16" or so), but it was too small to keep. Didn't see a lot of Redfish. I caught a Ladyfish, which is in the tarpon family. You could tell too, it flew out the water like i've never seen any fish. It was long and skinny, but it put up a fight that was better then about any trout i've caught here in Colorado. Really fun to catch. Then we caught a ton of these small fish called Pinfish. They are like catching bluegill. Tons of them and fun on a fly rod.

The next day we planned to fish Port Aranasas, but the weather was horrible windy and the water over there was full of jellyfish, so we skipped that day.

The last day we got in good with a park ranger down there who's kids where friends with my friends kids. He told us about a place that really only locals know. Basically a way to access a huge section of flats south of Mustang Island by foot rather then boat (since we didn't have one). Unfortunately, we got stuck in sand on the way there and spent about 2 hours getting out of that. I walked down to the area though, and it would have been a great place to flats fish. There was a bunch of speckled trout there. Kinda early for tailing Redfish is what the locals told me. I'll be going to that spot next time I go down there though.

The last night there, we fished in a canal behind a house we where at. There wasn't much action there, but I managed to catch a crab - deliberately. So I guess being able to add blue crab to my list of species I've caught on a fly rod is kinda cool.

If anyone's gonna head down there sometime, shoot me a PM and i'll give you some tips and locations from what I learned on my trip.

Ladyfish

Pinfish (one of many)

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ya, we realized after we had caught about 8 of them that we probably should have been keeping them to use as bait in the deeper water. Oh well. Catching anything new on a fly is a blast to me, even when they are that small, so I still had a great time. I learned enough though that my next trip should be better.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts