Colorado Fisherman Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Several questions here.

Any fly fish for bass in the Riverbend ponds in Ft.Collins?

What works best for that area?

How big of a fly to keep the bluegill away?

What is the best size rod/reel set up for bass? Currently I have a size 5/6 and some of the bigger frog flies seem to be a bit much for that size rod.

And lastly, anyone ever fly fish Boundary Waters for bass, panfish, or pike? Any helpful suggestions would be great.

Lonny

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
I can not get the bass at riverbend to take flies. I have skipped poppers over thier heads and hit them in the face with buggers. Nothing! I don't think you can go to big for bluegill. I had blugill snapping at poppers twice thier size. I think a 5/6 is fine. It may be a little underpowered for the flies but the bass I have caught on spinning takle don't put up enough of a fight in my mind to switch to the 9wt. But I havn't caught any big bass.

I fished the boundry waters many years ago on a canoe trip. Only caught trout and whitefish. My dad  swears I caught the biggest pike he has ever seen and lost it at the boat. Corse he says the reason I lost it is I wasn't listening to him. ;D

I can't remember the name of the outfitter we used. If i do I'll let you know.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Hatchmaster...I never seem to see you out there but it seems you also live there at the ponds as much as I do. I usually have a brown hat on with a goose feather I found at a nest in the ponds. If I see you there I will come up and say hello. I usually fish there in the evening.

Lonny

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
I seem to be there in the evening theese days as well. I use to fish the south west pond exclusivley. These days I seem to be at the bluegill pond. I need to go out to the big pond but I never wear my waders. I am either dressed like an orvis model with a kaki tilley hat or I have shorts and and some sort of beer t shirt with a kaki patagonia baseball hat.

Also I drive a tan ford explorer with a dent in the rear passenger side and the paneling is peeling up on the drivers door. Usually full of fishing gear.

If you see me come say hi. I'll do the same if I see you.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I fished Lonhagler lake near Longmont in a pontoon boat and it has really good structure. My buddy and I caught Bass, Perch, Crappie, and Trout. I used a popper about the of your finger nail on your middle finger. Casted into the structure and the bass hit it quickly. The bass I caught were only about 12- 14 inches and not on the girthy side....but it was a blast.

·
Registered
664 Posts
BIG...poppers or streamers for bass!!

I find that flyfishermen think way too small when it comes to bass fishing. 6" bass will hit a 5" lure...they're very agressive. an 18"bass has a huge mouth and can swallow a very large food item.

I would be looking at poppers or streamers with a hook size of 2 and above. Think of a popper the size of your thumb (the whole thumb) or streamer as long as your middle finger.

lures this size may not keep the bluegills away ( I still have bluegills trying to hit 5" senkos) but at least they won't get hooked if you have a 1/0 or 2/0 hook.

Bass are big and agressive...no need to be dainty with your offering.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Hatch, I have the same problem. I was fishing in a "secret" pond in Westminster, Some kid caught 10 bass to my 0. I was using girdle bug, Wolly bugger, popper and nothing.

the kid was using spinning outfit and a "chatter box".

Maybe next weekend.
FB

1 - 7 of 7 Posts