Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wanted to post some information on fly fishing Hawaii. I spent about 6 days in Oahu and was able to fish 3-4 mornings and a couple afternoons. Fishing overall was pretty good once I got some time to figure things out.

There is one fly shop on the Island, Nervous Waters, and they were not real helpful. I am sure if I went on a guided trip I would have received a bit more information. But alas, I am a teacher and that was not in the budget. Never the less I was hell bent to find bones. I pretty much searched the entire island for decent flats. Found one below Waikiki and found a couple around the Airforce bases.

The key for me was low tides. Either water moving in or out worked equally well. Much of the water that I fished was relatively deep so the low tides gave me access to tailing fish. Some of the bones were well over 10lbs.... none that I caught.

The set up I used was a 6wt and an 8wt. All floating line with heavy fluoro leader... 20lb. The coral is way nasty and tears up everything. Flies were the basic crazy charlies and their variations of sorts.

Anyway thought I would post a bit of information since I was not able to find much or pry it out of anyone down there.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Dude, that is amazing !! Props for putting in the work and making it happen, anybody can pay a guide to put them on fish, but you earned um!

·
Registered
475 Posts
Rivrunnr1 said:
Rickabilly said:
Dude, that is amazing !! Props for putting in the work and making it happen, anybody can pay a guide to put them on fish, but you earned um!
X4...great info.

I know a guy that fished with a nervious waters guide. They fished some flats just on the other side of Diamond Head. He said the key to the whole thing was the tides.

Hope this helps,
John G.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I think that is awesome that you were able to figure out how to nail those fish without much help or a guide. Great job man!

Love the pics - Makes me want to go on vacation bad.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Troutslayer said:
I think that is awesome that you were able to figure out how to nail those fish without much help or a guide. Great job man!

Love the pics - Makes me want to go on vacation bad.
Sh1t you've been on a vacation for almot a year now???

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the props. If you are planning a trip to Oahu anytime let me know and I can make sure you at least get to flats I was at.

BC

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
In reality I probably caught the guys at a bad time, since everyone else I have talked to has had good experiences with their shop. It is nice that there is a fly shop in Hawaii.

My post really wasn't supposed to be about bitching about a shop more to give some information about the island and where to go. This was the information that was hard for me to get. In the end it did not matter and I got my bones ;D

·
Registered
24,509 Posts
Awesome report and job fishing!...

Some areas there the locals seems to be colder than the West Laramie fly store and walking in with a colo drivers license and asking for an non resident Wyoming license...

·
Registered
93 Posts
Was on Oahu in Jan. Found much the same you did. Fished by myself one afternoon on flats East of Diamond Head, finally got a call back from a guide from Nervous Waters for a morning outing, and dang if he didn't take me to the same flat. Oh well, I really learned alot from from the guy, and man could he spot bones. My biggest error you managed not to make was bringing the camera. Way to go burning up the flats on your own hook.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Great and accurate report. I've done a lot of DYI bonefishing in Hawaii and it is tough - spooky fish, limited flats and coral to ruin things when you hook one. The best flats are on Oahu and Molokai, with some decent but limited flats on Kauai. the Big Island and Maui really don't have in the way of flats, but there are shallow areas behind reefs that hold bones. Your best bet us to get on Google earth and you'll find the flats.

I take an inflatable kayak with me to Hawaii, which really is a game changer...

·
Registered
234 Posts
Very nice size bones, those will give you a run for your money. Stoked that you found good fish and more importantly got them to eat. Just like any other species, size and smarts are correlated. Ha Ha. Haven't fished Hawaii for anything other than bill fish or tuna off Kona. Nice work. Just one question, whats better than bonefishing? I refer to it as the "mecca".... until of course I get a permit. HA.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts