Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Out of sheer curiousity, does any one fly fish the stream that runs through down town Denver? Or is it not allowed? The reason I ask is in Missoula Montana, the Clark Fork flows almost right through the middle of the city. Very few people fly fish it. However, the fishing is great on it! High volume of fish and a very good amount of large fish.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I work downtown, and I have never seen anyone fish Cherry Creek, if that's the stream you are thinking of.  Although it swells with runoff at times, it also shrinks quite a bit, and I would think it has no catchable fish.

You can probably catch carp from the South Platte where it flows alongside the downtown area.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was referring to the south platte with the trail by it, it kind of runs by the Pepsi Center and the Aquarium on the edge of down town.

T

·
0 Posts
i work in lodo, a few blocks from cherry creek and south platte, by conflucence park and rei. there are no trout in any of these streams/rivers, too polluted and warm. nice area, just no fish. if there were i'd be fishing everyday at lunch

·
Registered
4,800 Posts
Theres carp in the platte but havn't seen any below i-25 and santa fe, but have caught them around overland golf course area and have caught three rainbows in that area to.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Try putting out a troutline, if legal in that area. Put a variety of baits out. Check it daily as stated in the regulations and you will know if there are fish.

·
Registered
103 Posts
The farthest north I have caught anything from the platte (from chatty) is pretty much at the drive-in at hampden, where bear creek comes in, ( I lived right there for years) after that, a water treatment plant dumps in right behind the discount tackle store and I haven't been able to handle the chemically smell, good bet is south of downtown Littleton, there are several chutes built for kayakers, i guess, also just south of Oxford west of Santa Fe, there are more chutes, I only go during the nasty fall weather and target browns on big raps and get an occasional rainbow, smallie, and walleye. If there are any browns north of Overland, I'm sure they are nasty hook jaw tackle busters

·
Registered
4,800 Posts
Years ago the guy who worked at uncle miltys caught that 18 lbs. brown near belleview and santa fe. Pretty sure he made the paper. Also I think it was a world record for 4 lbs. test

·
Registered
28 Posts
In one of the weekly fishing reports put out by the DOW last year, they mentioned that section of the river as having some very nice fish populations. They went on to say that either they or the police (can't remember which) had come across some homeless people who were in possession of some large trout.

Either way, you don't have to worry about fighting crowds...

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
scottdog900 said:
In one of the weekly fishing reports put out by the DOW last year, they mentioned that section of the river as having some very nice fish populations. They went on to say that either they or the police (can't remember which) had come across some homeless people who were in possession of some large trout.

Either way, you don't have to worry about fighting crowds...
Just the homeless guys muggin you for the trout?

·
Registered
16,650 Posts
Probably have a shot at some of those "boneless browns"-

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The old Boneless Brown...a very close cousin to the Sewer Trout.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts