Colorado Fisherman Forum banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
11,849 Posts
Waiting to hear a response! lol... I do hope he's down to have the conversation.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 · (Edited)
Oyey, in my original big post I over reacted and had to delete everything because i'd like to have a respectful conversation. I do not do youtube for money, and will never enable ads on my channel, i'm a aerospace engineer and do fine with my job. My point of it is to show how i go about fishing and catching my fish. It may be educational to some and others entertainment and to some of you laughable considering I have not been doing it as long as you and others have. Quite honestly I've learned a lot of things from reading these forums to become a better fisherman and will continue to do so.

My response to your first message was with sarcasm, because I know the information I was looking for is on the net and a few people have made videos on youtube about it. I realize to some of you the waters are special, they are to me as well, so moving forward I will focus on not exposing any water I'm on through obvious means such as naming the river or location, I understand the purpose of it. I hate to see those parking lots filled up with cars as much as you all do.

Ronco, I've seen posts of you keeping fish, if you and most love to eat fish, I'm not the problem when it comes to the shortage, 98% of fish in my videos are released unless friend or family keeps them. I fish for the sport not for a meal. I'll leave it at that with you and won't argue with you anymore.

Everyone is making a great point. I appreciate your opinions and will do my best to be discrete.

Thank you to those that commented on the actual topic I asked about

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I will NEVER fly a drone over a river that I promise you. I have respect for people and land. I only fly where I am allowed, a river is simply something i refuse to do any of that on because I like peace like most of you do.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I can only hope that discussions like this sink into people's heads and they handle ALL waters and fish as though they are secret and priceless. I made the mistake of posting a vid, once, of a renowned tailwater. Never again. I think it encourages more to do such.

McFly! LOL My buddy and I were talking about him sometime back. He was new and eager but he proved to me he cared less about the fish and more about his YouTube vid. I think for many of these YouTube'rs it's more about starring in their own production.

I am a CO native as well. I have seen MANY areas go to crap and this was just as a result of books, magazines, and obviously an exploding population. Today, with information available anytime, it's just getting worse. People compare CO with MT, UT, WY, NM but fail to realize our state resident population is as big as any 3 of those aforementioned combined. Now add in the tourism! One reason why I am a proponent of current Colorado waterway laws.

I have no issues with vids, books, and magazines if they are "How to...". They are great resources for new anglers but pimping out areas is horrible. It attracts "McFlys" and many lesser water fish populations can not persist those anglers.

Slab
Slab,
"I have no issues with vids, books, and magazines if they are "How to..."."

I like this idea. Perhaps I will look at ways to do videos along the lines of actually being helpful and informative instead of talking about a water, but more so focusing on the fish i'm catching and how I am catching them.

I'm not a fan of McFly angler, only because of his style of fishing and seeing his hook set fails. I've never seen someone miss hooking a fish so much, I thought my girlfriend how to fly fish within a few days and she had a better hookset ratio than him.

·
Registered
11,849 Posts
Cro, Thanks for the thought out and respectful reply.. I totally get reactive responses and how sarcasm is many times the go to.

So, moving forward... The "other guy" in your laker video needs some lessons in manners and respect... You are now associated with him, and that seems a shame, given the nature of your response here.

Honestly, I watched your first couple videos posted here, and I liked the production and such. That said, I am protective of our resources in CO because they are so limited. Lake trout in particular are so so special in our state and so many new fishermen just don't get that. Over promotion of their waters and how to catch them along with increased population in CO will ultimately hurt the fishing. I believe that is inevitable. With that, I don't have as gloomy of an outlook as some do. I believe that more popularity might influence our CPW (man it's hard to believe in that, but let's try) to protect and sustain lake trout.... perhaps even expand their waters.

As someone who's been here and fished a very long time, I can tell you that the real laker guys are freaking out right now... I wish they could thrash on the loudmouths the way they used to on here! What sucks is the loudmouths don't care one bit. They care about likes and attention more than the fish or the fishery.

So... You're a youtuber.. and yes, I get that you have a good job, which in some part lets you do what you do. My humble suggestion is to think about the conservation of the fish and the fishery. I think there is a way to do videos that protects locations, and promotes good fishing ethics. It can also educate the masses that ultimately WILL hotspot.

Cro, I was on the fence about you from the beginning and leaning on the bad side simply because you make videos. After your friend posted that video of the laker and proceeded to bash a female, insult dozens of old school fishermen who have paid their dues, and simply make fishing/videos hideous, I just assumed you were the same. I hope you distance yourself from that and maybe kick him in the ass.... I know I would love to.

I am nobody.. I don't really matter, but I do hope, in some ways, to protect a valuable resource and to plant seeds in peoples minds about doing the same. I can't stop anyone from filming or taking pictures but I won't stay quiet and just watch our water/fish be pimped out with no regard to the consequences. We don't have the luxury of tons of water in CO, and we have a population explosion that will definitely redefine our state. If we don't try a little to salvage what little water we have, we will all live to regret it.

So... tailwaters... I was taught by a very old man and it changed everything. Size 24 and 26 thread midge, no indicator. Never a blind cast. I have given you more in those 2 sentences than you can imagine. Peace.

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
Yeah, I can tell you aren't a moron like your friend, Chris. The youtube stuff enables you to use your toys (cameras, drone, editing software, etc), gives you a creative outlet with the production, and provides lots of positive reinforcement for the ego from the comments. I get that.

90% of those comments are people who you wouldn't want to see at the places you are fishing, nor would you ever give them the info they are getting from some of your clips. Fisherman are forensic scientists with locations in pics and videos. You will hear people say stuff like "that lake is not a secret." That is utter bullshit. With every video there is an audience out there that is quietly gleaning location information that they did not know before. Film Antero and Willow Creek and you won't hear much fuss from the good ole boys (for the record, I resent all hot spotting). But lakers are different.

This forum is basically dead now. Facebook is the new frontier. By the time you "get it" there will be 3 more noobs happy to take up the hot spotting torch and get the ego stroke. I understand that. Not even sure why I write stuff like I am now. It feels like pissing in the wind. Just know that even though you aren't making money on your videos, there is a cost that is far greater than a monetary one when locations are so prominently displayed.

There are fishing networks with a wealth of knowledge in this state. You will not find them on facebook or youtube. There is a reason that the McFlys of the world are in stasis with their technical development.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 · (Edited)
Cro, Thanks for the thought out and respectful reply.. I totally get reactive responses and how sarcasm is many times the go to.

So, moving forward... The "other guy" in your laker video needs some lessons in manners and respect... You are now associated with him, and that seems a shame, given the nature of your response here.

Honestly, I watched your first couple videos posted here, and I liked the production and such. That said, I am protective of our resources in CO because they are so limited. Lake trout in particular are so so special in our state and so many new fishermen just don't get that. Over promotion of their waters and how to catch them along with increased population in CO will ultimately hurt the fishing. I believe that is inevitable. With that, I don't have as gloomy of an outlook as some do. I believe that more popularity might influence our CPW (man it's hard to believe in that, but let's try) to protect and sustain lake trout.... perhaps even expand their waters.

As someone who's been here and fished a very long time, I can tell you that the real laker guys are freaking out right now... I wish they could thrash on the loudmouths the way they used to on here! What sucks is the loudmouths don't care one bit. They care about likes and attention more than the fish or the fishery.

So... You're a youtuber.. and yes, I get that you have a good job, which in some part lets you do what you do. My humble suggestion is to think about the conservation of the fish and the fishery. I think there is a way to do videos that protects locations, and promotes good fishing ethics. It can also educate the masses that ultimately WILL hotspot.

Cro, I was on the fence about you from the beginning and leaning on the bad side simply because you make videos. After your friend posted that video of the laker and proceeded to bash a female, insult dozens of old school fishermen who have paid their dues, and simply make fishing/videos hideous, I just assumed you were the same. I hope you distance yourself from that and maybe kick him in the ass.... I know I would love to.

I am nobody.. I don't really matter, but I do hope, in some ways, to protect a valuable resource and to plant seeds in peoples minds about doing the same. I can't stop anyone from filming or taking pictures but I won't stay quiet and just watch our water/fish be pimped out with no regard to the consequences. We don't have the luxury of tons of water in CO, and we have a population explosion that will definitely redefine our state. If we don't try a little to salvage what little water we have, we will all live to regret it.

So... tailwaters... I was taught by a very old man and it changed everything. Size 24 and 26 thread midge, no indicator. Never a blind cast. I have given you more in those 2 sentences than you can imagine. Peace.
Man I am so sorry about the bashing from them, I cannot control someone else's attitude and how they make carry them selves :(. I do not have facebook and am not aware of exactly the things he said, I remember him texting me about talking crap to some people on a facebook post. I could never do that, you guys have respectfully argued with me and I appreciate that. There will be a different tone to my videos for sure.

If only we could reverse pot being legal here, I feel like it would get rid of 1.2 million people.

I am hoping CPW can do what Twins and Turq do when it comes to their rules on Lakers like all between 22 and 34 inches being released if the other Laker waters did that it would surely be a better solution.

As far as the river stuff goes, I will not expose rivers and my only filming when it comes to me fly fishing is a go pro on my chest recording whats in front of me. As I've said before my river fishing is respectful and I generally do my best to hike to areas where there isn't many people around me. :)

And thank you for the tips. I am grateful.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Yeah, I can tell you aren't a moron like your friend, Chris. The youtube stuff enables you to use your toys (cameras, drone, editing software, etc), gives you a creative outlet with the production, and provides lots of positive reinforcement for the ego from the comments. I get that.

90% of those comments are people who you wouldn't want to see at the places you are fishing, nor would you ever give them the info they are getting from some of your clips. Fisherman are forensic scientists with locations in pics and videos. You will hear people say stuff like "that lake is not a secret." That is utter bullshit. With every video there is an audience out there that is quietly gleaning location information that they did not know before. Film Antero and Willow Creek and you won't hear much fuss from the good ole boys (for the record, I resent all hot spotting). But lakers are different.

This forum is basically dead now. Facebook is the new frontier. By the time you "get it" there will be 3 more noobs happy to take up the hot spotting torch and get the ego stroke. I understand that. Not even sure why I write stuff like I am now. It feels like pissing in the wind. Just know that even though you aren't making money on your videos, there is a cost that is far greater than a monetary one when locations are so prominently displayed.

There are fishing networks with a wealth of knowledge in this state. You will not find them on facebook or youtube. There is a reason that the McFlys of the world are in stasis with their technical development.
I appreciate a respectful response. It is not about boosting my ego, fishing is a positive outlet in my life that keeps me sane and loving life it is as simple as that. I think all of us on this thread have that in common. One of my favorite people to watch the fly fishing videos is the the "Beyond The Fly" fella on Youtube. Someone that beat cancer and looks at fly fishing as a way to heal. He's very educational and I enjoy his work, he only fishes waters that we all know about before he filmed on them. He fishes respectfully and I love that.

McFly is just someone that wants to collect money from people to benefit him self and by new rods. I literally stopped following him the moment he promoted how he needs a rod and doesn't have money. all my respect for him left.

The waters I have had in my videos have all be way overly populated before my video was released. Yet I try to do my best to not mention them by name. Does it frustrate me when a name of the water is mentioned by someone other then me in the video? yes and that is why I have the power to edit that out.

·
Registered
441 Posts
This forum is basically dead now. Facebook is the new frontier.
Boy I sure hope not. I deleted my Facebook last year and it definitely improved my life. This Forum is the only place I have found where the people on it have a passion for fishing that matches or even exceeds my own.

To the point of our limited waters, and booming population. Maybe the answer is to selectively hotspot. I can think of a few places that need some fish harvested to improve the fishery, and if more people are fishing in those spots it will open up room in others.

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
Facebook is a cesspool. There are CO fishing groups that are highly active and the cultural basis is hot spotting. It's a vulture's dream. Kinda takes the fight outta me.
:sad:

·
Registered
803 Posts
Ronco, I've seen posts of you keeping fish, if you and most love to eat fish, I'm not the problem when it comes to the shortage, 98% of fish in my videos are released unless friend or family keeps them. I fish for the sport not for a meal. I'll leave it at that with you and won't argue with you anymore.

Your right Cro, I do keep fish and eat fish. I have never posted a picture and I posted 1 report when I first joined this site in 2005. I received negative PM's about it and that cured me, I'll never do it again on any of the sites.

It sounds that you got the point I and others have made. Time will tell, carry on.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Maybe the answer is to selectively hotspot. I can think of a few places that need some fish harvested to improve the fishery, and if more people are fishing in those spots it will open up room in others.
I can't think of one public water that would benefit from publicizing and adding angler hours. The vast majority of fisheries that I have seen out of balance are private lentic waters that had poor long term planning in the original stock, bucket biologist additions, and little to non existent management regulations. All those public sub-par crappie, bass, sunfish and even walleye fisheries are a result of angler harvesting most frequently. The biggest conditions 1) the body of water could biologically support a larger quality fish and 2) isn't susceptible to natural kills. Ft. Collins area has many ponds/ lakes where size is cyclic due to angler harvest and some that host smaller fish sizes due to natural kills. Crappie where the biggest swingers followed by the easily caught and fished out +15" large mouth bass.

In the worst case scenario a rotenone fresh start may be needed. The thing is, unless regulations are enforced, it will revert right back to its former self.

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
Overall, I agree with the general consensus to avoid hotspotting. ******* wisdom though says that with an annual decrease in licensed fisherman, the more fisherpersons that frequent a single spot will loosen the pressure of other spots (and eventually increase the quality/quantity).

I am not sure about Colorado and their trending of either hunting or fishing licenses. Nationally, the numbers appear to be trending down and the few places I am currently most familiar with are reporting a significant decrease (Michigan, Kansas, Missouri, Arkansas).

With proper conservation, all waters can withstand pressure though (they just may need to make a body of water C&R for a period or generation). Either way we all win. Eaters get to eat for a period and releasers get to release for a period.

At this point, I may just be stirring the pot some - but hey, everyone is right with their view/opinion - that's Freedom baby.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I am not going to provide but one tip: get away from the crowds by doing some research using USGS and US Forest Service maps, Google Earth and get away from your vehicles and be willing to hike into the back country. There are still lots of good places but you have to work for them. Then, keep your mouth shut or, as the case may be, your computer.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts