Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This upcoming Sunday and Monday nights my wife, kid and I are camping in the Estes Park area. I am taking my Fly rod with me. I am about as bad a fly fisherman as you have ever seen, but I keep trying.

Any suggestions on locations and flies and times that I should try?

Dan

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
Dan --- We have 3 fly shops up here.

Estes Angler  (970) 586-2110

Kirk's  (970) 577-0790

Scot's Sporting Goods  (970) 586-2877

Any one of them can give you good advise on locations and flies, for the Big Thompson, the local lakes, or RMNP. I really suck w/ the fly rod, but I do alright below the Lake Estes dam. A little ways down, is a go-cart track. It tends to cover up the noise I make, and the fish there don't seem as cautious. Also, try a hike in the park. There are a lot of lakes that are short (2 mile) hikes, and don't recieve that much pressure. 

Good Luck, enjoy your stay, and I'll bet I'm alot worse at fly fishing then you  ;)

James 

P.S. If you tire of the fly rod Lake Estes, and Mary's Lake aren't bad.

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks James,

I will give them a call. If you happen to be out and see a very bad fly fisher wearing either a ColoradoFisherman.com hat or shirt its probably me. Say hi, but don't laugh too loud at me.

Dan

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Tmy advice is try Lilly Lake..its one of those "domesticated" type areas that have a path all the way around it and chipmunks that eat out of your hands, but the lake holds some nice green back cutthroats and its got good scenery.  its also pretty friendly as far as fly fishing is concerned, there is lots of space to back cast and you can usually spot a lot of fish just walking down the shore.  sometimes it gets crowded, but usually there arent too many people fishing (its catch and release, barbless hooks only)

sometimes the fish are picky though...use a small caddis or adams or even a griffith gnat, but whatever it is make sure you tie on a dropper fly...my favorite there is a size 16 or 18 "miracle nymph" (basically white threat tied on a hook shank with a tiny black head and gold ribbing)  tie it under a size 16 or 18 caddis on about 12 inches of 6x flourcocarbon tippet.  fish will usually hit that there when they wont hit anything else--- if you can get it out to them when they are rising.  hit it in the evening or early morning, the place can get pretty windy in the middle of the day.

if you have any questions PM me.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Went last week to Dream Lake and it was appropriately named. A good number of beautiful cutthroat swimming around in crystal clear water. As others have indicated, I'm sure many lakes and ponds in and around Estes offer a similar experience.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
It's one of the small lakes in Rocky Mountain National Park. Go to Bear Lake and it is a mile hike from there. It gets a lot of hiker traffic, but few of them fish. As I said, the name is certainly appropriate. See my recent post about my first cutthroat and I talk about the Chernobyl ant that Kirk's Fly Shop in Estes set me up with. Still can't believe it catches fish, but it seems to work in the area.

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, It might just be the thing to do in order to get some peace and quiet. I know my wife can't make a hike like that and my kid probably is not interested either.

Dan

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My Family kept me pretty busy doing things other than fishing. I did get out on Monday night for a couple of hours. Went down Hiway 34 past Drake and it was quite an effort to find a decent place that was not already being fished or marked as private. I picked up half a dozen flies at Estes Angler and followed their advice. As for the flies they matched the hatch perfectly. As for the catching, Well a better fly fisher than me probably would have limited out. Saw quite a few fish but could not entice them.

All in all the time I spent in the river was great...........would have been perfect had I been "catching" rather than "fishing"

Dan

1 - 9 of 9 Posts