Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
I smoke a bowlski and then pour a beer in the river for all those beasts im about to catch..... if it ends up being a skunk I take a piss in that river :D

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
I smoke a bowlski and then pour a beer in the river for all those beasts im about to catch..... if it ends up being a skunk I take a piss in that river
:hail::hail::hail: You da man. Must have taken all day to come up with that one.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Nice post Joe. Some interesting points that even us spin guys can utilize. I tend to try and cover as much water as possible when fishing new rivers, but I can see the advantages of slowing down. Matching the hatch or knowing what food sources are available is something I do some research on before I hit any new water and once there I do a lot of observing of feeding fish to see if I can see a pattern that I can mimic with something I have in my bag.

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
I agree with Ninja, good post. I did a lot of the similar for an out of state river I got the opportunity to fish this year, maps, google earth, researched the fishing reports.

I'll add that I also enlisted help from members here who had knowledge of the river and got some pretty good advice that helped immensely regarding the no split shot rule and nymph fishing.

I too go very slow when on a new river, where as on rivers I'm familiar with I may skip seeming productive holes and runs from experience.

Thanks for posting up! Welcome to the forum, hope you stick around.

·
Registered
358 Posts
:hail::hail::hail: You da man. Must have taken all day to come up with that one.
You da old man that's chompin at the bit to talk some smack I see...... I could be wrong but old age doesn't have to mean you lose the ability to laugh..... RESPECT how I approach a new river as there's nothing wrong with getting those hogs so drunk that they'll hit just about anything...... you walk a fine line though in that you run the risk of having one or two pass out..... your just angry I might be pissin in river near you :pound:

·
P I K E
10,180 Posts
No, Ninja's sarcasm comes from you coming in this gentleman's(new member to boot) truly serious thread and trying to derail it with immature bullshit! There is a place and time for that crap and you seem to always pick the wrong times. If that's the way you want to participate on this forum stay in the Romper Room and your crap won't get deleted!!! Welcome to the forum Joe and excellent write up... Thank you for sharing!!!

·
Registered
305 Posts
Good stuff, Joe. As others have already said and you mentioned in your article, I use google earth to scout and even measure distances to see how long you take that road to said turnoff to find the river access, how long the stretch is etc.

Last summer I found 4 new stretches of water that were pretty close to my stomping grounds, unbeknownst to me. There is nothing quite so rewarding about putting in some leg work and finding a yourself alone on a beautiful piece of water.

Hopefully I will be making it back to one of those spots next week with some warmer temps to try and dial it in. Last time I was there the runoff had just started and the water was raging/stained. But, like you, I keep running tabs on these adventures so I can look back and see what time of year it was, what worked and what didn't.

Good write up and hopefully you stick around and contribute to the forum.

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
Nice post Joe. Some interesting points that even us spin guys can utilize. I tend to try and cover as much water as possible when fishing new rivers, but I can see the advantages of slowing down. Matching the hatch or knowing what food sources are available is something I do some research on before I hit any new water and once there I do a lot of observing of feeding fish to see if I can see a pattern that I can mimic with something I have in my bag.
Im sure your sitting back observing feeding fish cracking the code as your tying on a rapala :smile:

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Im sure your sitting back observing feeding fish cracking the code as your tying on a rapala
Not a bad option most times, but I never said I don't use flies. Tube jigs, fly and a bubble, marabou jigs or whatever puts fish in the net. Hell, I might even resort to hucking metal if I get desperate.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
Not a bad option most times, but I never said I don't use flies. Tube jigs, fly and a bubble, marabou jigs or whatever puts fish in the net. Hell, I might even resort to hucking metal if I get desperate.:rolleyes:
My problem is I dont even try other options other then a different color sinking rapala.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
My problem is I dont even try other options other then a different color sinking rapala.
If it ain't broke don't fix it.

I have about two dozen lures I use all the time that catch fish on every river I go, about two dozen that sometimes catch fish and another 100 that look pretty sitting in the tackle shed that I haven't had time to even use yet.
But I did get out the other day and found out another dozen ain't worth a flying f#@k. So at the rate I am going maybe by the end of next year I will be having another sale to try and "downsize". Or have some extra coinage to get some more **** I don't need.

Some say it's an obsession; I like to call it a lifelong hobby!!!

·
Registered
4,822 Posts
I just go fish.

Catching fish is over-rated.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
I go to fish and catch.

Don't mind gettin a skunk but if I were to go and not want to catch fish then I would stay home and practice casting in the back yard.

What is the point of fishing?

To catch fish.

Pretty sure that is why we do it. Being outdoors, taking a hike to the water, enjoying the scenery, smellin the flowers, listening to the water pass by are all great but I'm fishing and expecting to catch what swims in that water.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts