Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi i have been fishing for a couple years but i am green at fly fishing. Im going to spinney this weekend and wanted some advice on when and what part of the lake to fish. Wouldnt mind some tips on what flies to purchase. I really want to catch some trout because fly fishing looks like a ton of fun!!

·
Registered
11,847 Posts
Look for points and breaks in structure... although many times, at Spinney, the fish just cruise...cover water and take plenty of wooley buggers in olive and brown. Not sure what is hatching now, so you'll have to get that info from others, but buggers never seem to disappoint. use 2 at a time with the trailer bugger being small as you can find... I like vanilla cone head too, but usually fish that solo.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advice. Ill pick up some wooley buggers today when i get a chance. I also have some adams and parachute adams. Mosquitos and i heard pheasant tails are good but of course its about matching the hatch. Hope i can get some more advice on this place i want to be ready to kill it this weekend!!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Was just up there last week......North East end....near 1st out house...you will see lots of fly fishers..........be sure to use 4x or 3x tippet big fish.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Was just up there last week......North East end....near 1st out house...you will see lots of fly fishers..........be sure to use 4x or 3x tippet big fish.
Yea i have 3x leader tippet on my 6wt rod. Did you catch anything? If you did on what fly?

·
Registered
883 Posts
Grass hopper with a big tasty nymph below. Tons of hoppers up here this year. :thumb:

·
Registered
883 Posts
Anything really, I like a little of one of the following colors yellow, orange, green and red combined with some brown or tan. I think rubber legs are a must on lakes, sells the twitch! Same goes for the Nymph, about anything should work in the 16 to 10 range. Drop it down about 2 1/2 feet as a general rule, but don't be scared to try other depths.

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
I dont have a boat. The best i can do is get some waders and wade. So to answer your question yes :)
That's gonna make it a lot tougher. If you're parked at the first parking area with the bathroom where all of the tubers launch..you'll have gravel out to about 75 feet into the lake before you reach any weeds..If you choose to fish that shoreline from shore..I'd definitely fish wolleybuggers in olive and black. I'd also fish it really early or really late and get them down on the bottom.

Vinney had mentioned that some Callibaetis are still coming off of the lake..I'm guessing that this is the third hatch of the season..so, I'd downsize from a 12/14 to 16s..Pheasant Tails..Hare's Ears...I like two flies..one with the bead and one without..I run them 18 inches apart. Fish them from 10 to 2:30.

Are you going to fish with an indicator or without? The water you'll reach from shore will average 6 to 8 feet deep..If using an indicator set it accordingly..Personally, I'd run one nymph right on the bottom..inches above and the other up eighteen inches. Also a red/black Copper John in a size 12 makes a good attractor fly above your smaller Hare's Ear or Pheasant Tail..

I'll PM you a spot that I think will give you a chance at some fish if you'd like.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
That would be awesome help thank! And thanks for the adviceill research everything you said in more detail so i can know how to rig it. Im extremely new to this but i love fishing and learning anything i can about it!

·
Registered
4,797 Posts
You might think about fishing some rivers too. Lots of choices in that area.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts