Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I generally avoid fly fishing moving water when it rains. I don't count light intermittent sprinkling or a one of light shower one time in the day. I have found that typically the increase in water CFS, along with the debris, silt that gets scowered that the fishing is not good. It seems like the fish really get "put down" by the conditions. In fact, on many streams you need to wait a day or two before things settle down before the fishing becomes reasonable again. Can anybody give me some insight on this? ??? Are there streams and areas that do well with rain in Colorado? :-\

·
Registered
60 Posts
Letting swollen rivers drop back down to be "fishable" is something I've heard all my life. With freestone streams that can certainly be the case. I think this mostly applies to dry fly fishing though. But, you can do well with bigger nymphs and streamers with the water up. The fish are usually easy to find because they move right up to the banks to get out of the strongest current, same as run-off periods.

Tailwaters are different because they're not too affected in the first few miles below a dam, or until other creeks flow in. Big gully-washers can be some of the best times for big trout on some of our local tailwaters with stuff like San Juan worms and stone fly nymphs.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
bitafurnfeather: Very interesting, thanks for the insight. You know, its so obvious now that you pointed it out, but it makes total sense that fish would stack up on the banks to get out of the stronger current. Good stuff!

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Fishing streams when it rains can be excellent. The fish, as said before, come up near the bank. Oftentimes food is also washed into the stream, and this can make the fish be feeding very actively. As long as the water has decent visibility fishing during or just after a storm can be excellent.

·
Registered
4,800 Posts
Some of my best days have been in the rain, especially with streamers. Also san juans during rain can be the best action.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
How about rain tempatures? I use to only fish in warm rains, but Colorado doesnt seem to get many of them. Is fishing better in colder rains veruses warmer ones?

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
i was goin to say, when its raining and the waters up a bit and perhaps off color i love to fish streamers..and as mentioned before, san juan worms....all sorts of stuff washes in the water when its raining, and fish key in on the extra food source. i couldnt tell you about which is better, warm/cold rains--- in colorado all we have is cold ones it seems...

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I fish in the rain whenever I can. It keeps the crowds away and gives me a chance to learn more about our beloved sport than I can under ideal conditions.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Some of best days I've had as well have been in weather like we're having today (rain, sleet, snow). In spring, a lot of times, you have outstanding BWO hatches during the worst weather. Later on in the summer, the previous posts have explained about streamers and worms.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I absolutly LOVE flyfishing in the rain. As long as we don't have that Colorado lightning I'm there. And you usually get some serious elbow room also.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Especially since Colorado is 2nd in most lightning strike victims in the United States. All those stupid fisherman standing out in the rain with a 8 ft graphite flyrod in their hand or them silly rock climbers.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts