Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Endured below freezing temps (< 0°F) to chase some big rainbow and brown trout at the world famous Toilet Bowl �� Got into some nice one's and put a ton of fish in the net over the course of three different mornings of fly fishing.

YouTube video -->

·
Registered
385 Posts
Great Video! I have a hard time with winter fly fishing. I get tired of my guides freezing up on me. It can be real frustrating. Spinning rod is much easier to manage in winter, but even then frozen guides can be a hassle.

Hope your thumb is ok.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Sorry for the frostbite man but great video! The catches were all awesome...Love that area so much...Hoping to get up there again and make another video before winter is over.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hey there troutbiscuits, I completely understand the frustrations. I'm struggling with all the same stuff and when it's as cold as it was on this last outing, I had a few really low moments for sure. I think the thing that keeps me going in Winter is having the solitude and place to myself. I'm trying to imagine the Frying pan on a nice Summer day, and have to imagine it's a zoo. Hope I'm wrong, and definitely gonna try it out this Summer! Really appreciate you checking out the video, and for the nice comment. Hoping the thumb pulls through. Likely gonna need to wait a few more weeks before I know for certain, but thankfully seems ok at the moment and no signs of infection! thanks again, dan

·
Registered
646 Posts
Great video. I have a trip planned in late Feb, hope to duplicate your success.
SHouldn't be too hard. I've noticed the challenge is getting the flies down deep. But looks like the leading fly being heavy with some extra split shot does the trick, the fish are there for sure looks like it. :)

·
Registered
4,797 Posts
I fished the Pan all the time in the summer in solitude but I was way downriver. I don't need to catch big fish to have a good time.

·
Registered
646 Posts
I fished the Pan all the time in the summer in solitude but I was way downriver. I don't need to catch big fish to have a good time.
Amen, I like fishing the Poudre River yes the browns are small but the peace is worth it! :)

I don't mind monster fish here and there either.

·
Registered
4,797 Posts
Amen, I like fishing the Poudre River yes the browns are small but the peace is worth it! :)

I don't mind monster fish here and there either.
I'm the same on the Taylor River which is pretty close to me. The tailwater section has huge fish but huge crowds too. I'd rather go downriver and be alone.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Pete-G, appreciate the comment and excited to hear how your visit goes. I'm anxious to hit more of the water on the Frying Pan, but its hard to pass up a shot at the Toilet Bowl when there's no crowds in the dead of Winter right now :) I just spent 2 days up there and about to drop a new video ... will be sure to post here as it was super productive. Thanks again! dan

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm planning to head down to the Taylor in March and hoping I can avoid the crowds by fishing super early. We will see. Never been but really looking forward to it!

·
Registered
31 Posts
If you are looking to fish the Taylor, you couldn't do much better than right now. Water levels are perfect both in the lower stretch and at the C&R. I'm going to spend much of the next 3 days on the river and I'll try to post something up after the weekend. This particular spring throughout the Gunnison Basin has been some of the best fly fishing I've experienced in my 20 years here. Just phenomenal.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If you are looking to fish the Taylor, you couldn't do much better than right now. Water levels are perfect both in the lower stretch and at the C&R. I'm going to spend much of the next 3 days on the river and I'll try to post something up after the weekend. This particular spring throughout the Gunnison Basin has been some of the best fly fishing I've experienced in my 20 years here. Just phenomenal.
Thank you for the heads up! I am gonna get out fishin early next week and still trying to decide where to head. I think you might've just convinced me :) Sincerely appreciated!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts