Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to give everyone a heads up about the fly fishing tour film. If you are expecting several films about fat rainbows and browns caught on large freestones for tail waters this collection of films is the exact opposite!!

Granted it was only a $14 price tag but the "film" is actually a collection of 5-6 short films on fly fishing. However, one is on fishing for trout in new zealand. That is the only film on trout...all others are on permit, bass fishing with a fly rod, muskie fishing with a fly rod, maco shark fishing with a fly rod..etc.....

Maybe it was just me but we are a hard audience to satify when we live in some of the best trout fisheries around. Anyway, not a bash, thought it was ok, just thought it would be more about trout not bass. Just a heads up for all thinking about it.

·
Registered
376 Posts
X2. The permit fishing looked fun, but one of the guys in the two films about permit said it took him 15 years to catch one. ??? That pretty much told me I won't be making any efforts towards that particular species.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
I didn't go this year, but I really like seeing fishing for all species. Colorado may be one of the premier trout destinations in the US (at least I think we are), but we also have TONS of other species to fish for, and tons of folks who travel to the salt to scratch the itch. Personally, I'm going after large- and smallmouth bass, capr, 5 different species of trout, pike, and maybe even a wiper this year...all in colorado. :D I'm hoping for a good year.

·
Registered
11,844 Posts
Dude, I gotta completely disagree with you... THere are a million trout flicks out there and about now, they are just a bit, well, overdone! I think too many people that fly fish in CO think it is only about trout.... We live around plenty of warm water fisheries and there are tons of great times to have in places other than a trout stream.

Don't get me wrong, I love to fish for trout and enjoy watching almost any fly fishing film, but after last year's film tour, I was so relieved it wasn't all about trout.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Oyey said:
Dude, I gotta completely disagree with you... THere are a million trout flicks out there and about now, they are just a bit, well, overdone! I think too many people that fly fish in CO think it is only about trout.... We live around plenty of warm water fisheries and there are tons of great times to have in places other than a trout stream.

Don't get me wrong, I love to fish for trout and enjoy watching almost any fly fishing film, but after last year's film tour, I was so relieved it wasn't all about trout.
Completely agree, I fly fish for trout all the time. If I want to see more trout I will just go fishing.

Just because it isn't easy to do doesn't mean it isn't worth it. I bet there are tons of species out there that have never been fly fished to, or very heavily at least. I want to watch movies about that. Someone needs to make a movie about fly fishing for catfish or walleye.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Cast-a-way said:
Without effort there is limited satisfaction...I would take 1 permit over 1000's of 8 inch trout...to each their own
I'll take this further...1 bonefish, 1 tarpon, 1 fat albie, 1 rooster, 1 GT - I could go on. But take my advice and don't do it - it will absolutely alter your perspective and completely ruin you.

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
While I was volunteering as a beat controller for the Frostbite Fishoff in January, I happened to run into a non-contestant who is a doctor and had recently fished in Belize. He said he caught two permit on his trip. I gotta think that having a permit or a bonefish on the end of your flyline is a significant emotional event.

S

·
0 Posts
Lets not forget that these tours and films are mostly SPONSORED, and therefore are advertisements for destinations in themselves.

I like the saltwater stuff - something 90% of people wont get the chance to do on their level, so pretty cool to see a lot of that.

Theres also many resorts that have opened up in places like Cuba, where fishing pressure is non-existant so far. One of them actually limits miles of ocean to few anglers per month, and rotates tracts of water so no one spot gets pressured ever.

So, sponsored movies and film tours = hopeful revenue on your 5 day 4 night $5000 trip. And of course a trip to the local fly shop to get the gear used so diligently in the movie :)

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
The first time I went the "previews" caught me off guard too. I thought I was going to see real films. It's still cool though and I go back.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Tubadude said:
Cast-a-way said:
Without effort there is limited satisfaction...I would take 1 permit over 1000's of 8 inch trout...to each their own
I'll take this further...1 bonefish, 1 tarpon, 1 fat albie, 1 rooster, 1 GT - I could go on. But take my advice and don't do it - it will absolutely alter your perspective and completely ruin you.
I was fortunate enough to spend a week a last year, with my Wife on the flats of Belize..We caught at least 100 Bonefish, which was great, however it doesn't begin to compare to the 25 lb Permit which followed my crab 15 yards only to flee for deeper water within 6 feet of my rod tip...That fish left me a quivering incoprehesible mess...Yes, I am ruined...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts