Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

Fly Line - Leader Connection

1K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  davidmcnicholas 
G
#1 ·
i have only fished Orvis Wonderline fly line (WF - 5 - F). it has at the end of it a 6-8 inch section of heavy mono with a loop know tied at the end.
when i use or make a leader, it either has a loop knot or i make one, thus only needing to make a loop-to-loop connection which is easy.
saturday i was a Jax in ft. collins and won a spool of scientific angler fly line, a $55 value. it is WF - 5 - F), just waht is use. however it does not have this mono/loop end to it. i suspect a nail knot is required to tie my leader on each time? i think that would suck. any options?
i wondered if i could not permanently tie on it the same sort of thing my Orvis line has.
thoughts? i have never tied a nail know either.

#2 ·
I use these things made by Eagle Claw called Leader Links. I like the orange ones. Fly line slips through one end, tie and overhand knot and snip it close, push back into the link. Then slip your leader through the other end, overhand knot, trim and push that back into the link... Makes a nice seamless connection. Works really slick!! I've used them for about 25 years now and have NEVER had my leader disconnect from the fly line! :)

#3 ·
Im more of a nail-knot person myself...but have seen loop-to-loops work and have heard about the system decribed by Tim COS as well. i like the nail knot...i trust knots to hold better (if they are tied properly) and like the fact they are small, neat, and generally dont get stuck in my guides or collect too many weeds. they also turn over nicely for me...

just my preference, im not saying they are better than the other methods of line/leader connections....

#4 ·
Tomcat, you should be able to find a small spool of heavy mono, then tie one end to your fly line with a nail knot, and put a loop in the other end of the mono. Then you can make a loop-to-loop connection with your leaders. Instructions for tying a nail knot should be available online or in a fly fishing book at your library.

Personally, I use the braided loops. I tie them to the fly line with thread, then secure the connection with CA glue (Zap-a-Gap, etc.).

Hope you find a solution that suits you. :)

G
#5 ·
that is exactly what i was wondering. it was going to try it but did not want to re-invent the wheel if it had been done and did not work.
i am on it tonight. at least getting competent on the nail knot, which i do have a diagram and instructions for. thanks everyone.

#6 ·
I use a product by Scientific Anglers Line to Leader Connector:

Only have to tie and overhand knot.

#7 ·
I also come from the Nail knot school of thinking. been fishing 13 years now never lost a leader. I did get a guide up in Yellowstone once and my Dad and brother had that slip on connection first thing he did was look at leaders and cut my dad's and Brothers off and put in a nail knot said the connection made the line sink more. Epic I have never seen that contraption you use looks a lot like the connectors i sell for a living.

Maybe theres a market

Fish

#8 ·
they sell heavy duty loops that you can attach to the end of any flyline. you get 4 for about $6. they have a tubular end and some shrink wrap tubing in there. you snake the straight end onto the leader,slip the tubing over it and heat it over a candle to heat up the shrink wrap tubing and you are done. the only problem is to just be careful when heating up the tubing because if you get too close to the flame you will melt through your line. i have done it about 6 times and had one melt through. they are about a 20 # material so will hold most of what we catch. have never had one come off yet.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.