Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried those loop connections that you shrink wrap onto your fly line? Like the ones made by Cortland. Is there a trick to making them work well? What were your experiences with them? Did they cause your tip to sink? Any reply would be greatly appreciated.

B

·
0 Posts
I use them all the time. Beats trying to tie that %^*@ nail knot. There is a trick to putting them on but if you follow the instructions they work very well. Watch how you shrink it though- hair dryer is a better choice than a candle(personal experience). Superglue is another good choice for holding it all together. Haven't noticed that they cause the tip to sink any more than usual.
Been using them for 10 years with virtually no problems. :)

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
I have attached many a leader with those shrink-to-fit type connections you are talking about...but never on a line ive fished, they were ones we used at a shop to make connections if the customer wanted them. i trust my knots much more...and ive heard of (rarely, but still have heard) of them coming apart at the worst times. from what ive heard they wont cause your line to sink much though...and they dont get caught in your guides like a nail knot can--so that might be a plus.

a good thing about nail knots though...they are free...you dont have to buy those!

·
Registered
46 Posts
I am really old school with this but what I do is run a needle up thru the fly line 1/2 inch or so then out the side, put the leader thru the eye of the needle and thread it thru the fly line and then wrap the tag end around the line 8 to 10 time and tie off. It is kind of a pain in the butt ,but it makes for a really smooth transition from line to leader. One draw back, it is a real pain to change leaders when out on the water. In a pinch I will use a small eye hook with a couple of barbs on the shank and slide it up through the fly line. This is a very easy way to change leaders. Just a simple clinch knot and you are back on the water. They work well and have never had one come apart on me. The eye hook does not affect the floating ability of the fly line. Just my two cents. Good luck with your decision.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
hold the little yellow shrink-wrap gently on a light bulb and role it around a little bit. This is how I have always done it. The just put a dab of crazy glue on it and your set.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I always use the tried and true nailknot with a little uv knot sense, cheap and easy, but I would prolly try the loop to loop if I were to come across one for free, just to see how it works.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
honestly the nail not will never fail you if it's done right. I have had a carp or two pull my loop-loop connection off. Attaching about 5 inches of mono with a nail knot and then tying your own perfection loop at the end of that it is the way to go.

·
Registered
163 Posts
TopSlugger4 said:
Attaching about 5 inches of mono with a nail knot and then tying your own perfection loop at the end of that it is the way to go.
That's what I do. Although I use about a foot of about 40 pound hard red mono (available at most fly shops). The red color works good as a "backup strike indicator".

1 - 8 of 8 Posts