Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ive made opening day at spinney a few times now and am never sure of what fly options to go for. ive had equal success with various nymphs and streamers. its seems a little early for callibeatis and the midges are slow. last year the guy floating next to me said he took most of his fish on a turquoise yarn egg. any ideas on patterns, colors, sizes etc. i developed a wooly bugger which did very well towards the end of last season and im looking forward to seeing if this might be the ticket. any ideas ?

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
I hear red tube midges and an egg pattern combo are good flies to start with at Spinney this time of year....and of course the wooley bugger. Id try some size 6s in black and purple, and for the eggs a size 14 with a size 16 or 18 midge....

Hey, its something to start with anyways ;)

·
Registered
193 Posts
Well in all seriousness I have been going to Spinney for the opener or opening weekend nearly 10 years now. I think I go more for the show than the actually fishing anymore. My experiences are it's really tapered off since the good ole days. But the show is still good. First off if you go make sure you watch a guy I like to call the Doctor. He's about 70 years old looks like he's been in the wind the last 25 of it and where's a trench coat. Now what makes the doctor special is he uses an orange sponge to fish with but everytime he goes to cast the fly its somehow wiped onto something he has in his coat. Fishing could be slow but once the magical swipe is made the Doctor catches fish. Now the Doctor has the last couple years got himself a rookie he's bringing up to speed. The guy isn't as slick with the swipe but given a few years I imagine he'll be a pro like the old man. Now there are always the group of guys that show up with big lures to fish with. Now I have yet to see these guys ever catch a fish but I have seen some of the longest casts in fishing history. Finally theres the family guy he's the guy that talks his wife into coming fishing with him with the kids. He shows up gets out of the car and the 30mph wind blasts him in the face and the wife starts to *****. The fishing trip normally lasts about 30 minutes if shes a doll maybe 45 before he's packed up and headed for home.

Now for the good stuff. The spinney opener is one of those fly fishing mysteries. I am guilty of this myself. No one will tell you jack **** on what to use. Obviously with the hundred of responses to this post I think you see what I mean. My experiences are there is no one spot better than any other. Normally the first day or 2 it opens it's a no stop fish fest. So here is my suggestion the first day or 2 glow bugs and or orange scuds are all you need. Now i tie a special orange scud for spinney not sure it makes a difference but i think it does. After those 2 flies red flies seem to be the ticket. For years I told everyone there i was using a red san juan worm until the day i threw one on and realized i was catching a lot of fish on a fly i was trying to throw people as bait to leave me alone. Olive Scuds also great pattern for the opener. I fish big size 12-14 is normally what i use. Now i have gone to an 18 sometimes and done great. Like Rottal said a red tube midge works well. A large breadcrust has worked well for me. Best hour I've ever had at spinney I used a size 12 bead headed hares ear. I landed 14 fish in an hour. Pheasant tails work. I haven't gone the leech/wooley bugger route but i see guys slay them in the shallows with them so i'm sure they work.

I fish from the bank. I normally fish 6-8 feet under an indicator with a weight in between my 2 flies.

So you might ask what kinda fly fisher am I. Well at Spinney the last few years my buddy brings his motorhome in and I fish till i get cold and then normally make breakfast for my friends out fishing. Oh one other piece of information. The guys that help you net your fish rally aren't trying to help you land a fish they just want to see what you are using. Good Luck come say hey if you see the motorhome out there.....

Fish

C

·
0 Posts
I use the leeches and eggs combo under a bobber. I see some crazy things there too. It gets cold too.

chooch

·
Registered
529 Posts
flyfishcolorado said:
    First off if you go make sure you watch a guy I like to call the Doctor. He's about 70 years old looks like he's been in the wind the last 25 of it and where's a trench coat. Now what makes the doctor special is he uses an orange sponge to fish with but everytime he goes to cast the fly its somehow wiped onto something he has in his coat. Fishing could be slow but once the magical swipe is made the Doctor catches fish.
This sounds like he is using something such as smelly jelly every time he "swipes" and is likely illegal since the lake is regulated as an artificials only water.  He is benefitting from something other legal anglers are not and should probably be reported.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Thank you, captain obvious. Maybe he's just putting his hands under for a quick warm up before the next cast. Maybe he's adding flotant or sink to the fly. Maybe he's soaking it with water for a more natural descent. Maybe he's rolling little packages of crack. Let's not be too hasty and give the old chap the benefit of the doubt.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Well obviously he's putting something on the fly and I'd bet my last dollar it isn't fly sink gel. But hell the guys like 900 years old so I get a kick out of watching him. I will say I've never seen him keep a fish so no harm no foul.....

·
Registered
529 Posts
VolFan said:
Thank you, captain obvious. Maybe he's just putting his hands under for a quick warm up before the next cast. Maybe he's adding flotant or sink to the fly.  Maybe he's soaking it with water for a more natural descent.  Maybe he's rolling little packages of crack.  Let's not be too hasty and give the old chap the benefit of the doubt.
Your quote is pretty offensive their dude. MODERATORS- HELLO!!!!!! You condone people like this????

I have seen more illegal stuff from innocent looking people than you could imagine and I often see questionable things on this site like people going out every weekend and catching limits and posting them on Mondays. I am sure lets give them the benefit of the doubt on that too of course... Maybe they eat limits of 10 kokanee every week or give them away to all their friends. Soon the DOW will tipped off about this site and I won't feel sorry for the offenders either.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Well I didn't know my story was going to create such a stir here. I guess if you've ever fished Spinney for the opener you see so many abuses of a sport I love. Guys walking up into your back pocket to fish cause he thinks you have the hot spot.... Guys keeping fish that are questionable at best at making 20"..... Guys throwing bobbers teh size of my head to fish with... So yeah this guy cheats teh system. I guess I should pick up my gear and lose my spot to the 40 other morons waiting to get the hot spot so I can go tell on him. Seriously what does that solve? Like I said earlier if he was killing fish thats one thing but more often than not he fustrates most the other anglers into leaving or takign a break. So I guess if you are there I have described this guy pretty well he's not hard to spot. Go tell on him at least for me he's always been friendly and has a sense of humility this sport has long lost.

Fish

·
Registered
16 Posts
Just a FYI, this year the DOW has a new rule in effect. You can't have any scented anything on your line at Spinney. The DOW will be smelling it to make sure it's legal.

Spinney isn't open yet. Soon

Kopp

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Seriously, can we get a pool going on the first person who has a ranger taste a plastic for salt? It's going to happen, I can feel it.
My previous post was in jest and poking fun at how seriously some people take a recreational hobby. IF he was breaking the law, I agree he deserves to be punished, but right now there's no evidence (pics, a jar of powerbait, dynamite, NSA intercepts, etc.) and apparently the guy's like 90 years old and not keeping anything so I'd think he'd be at the bottom of the SWAT team's list. Seriously, it's a sport, it's (supposed to be) fun. Loosen up and let him enjoy it.
I apologize to any and all who were offended by my previous posting, and this one as well should anyone's feelings be hurt. If the moderator feels they should be removed, I will not hold my breath nor stomp my feet in protest.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Ken Broeren said:
The DOW is very aware of this site and they know we don't condone illegal activity.  In fact, they may see the post and decide to do something about it (i.e. check people).  If we delete the post, how are they supposed to know what is going on?   Just because you may not agree with something doesn't mean it should be deleted.
Ken- My complaint was to the member that had a rather rude/harassing reply to my post by referring to me as "Captain obvious" which in my book is being a smart ass in my opinion. It looked like when you sign up for this site you agree to refrain from being offensive/harassing in posts to others but maybe I am wrong??

Definitely leave the posts up by people that the DOW may need to look into as I have seen some things I question on here but I won't mention who specifically. If it just doesn't dawn on someone that they may be breaking the law someone should maybe nicely question them on it first.

·
Registered
265 Posts
If they start tasting tube jigs.... I will have to warn them that most of those products, at least many of the soft plastics contain small amounts of lead...

If they make a habit out of it, It will make them VERY sick over the long haul...

Anyway, I will burst out laughing if a warden asks to taste my tube jig!!!!

Tim

1 - 17 of 17 Posts