Colorado Fisherman Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Well in all seriousness I have been going to Spinney for the opener or opening weekend nearly 10 years now. I think I go more for the show than the actually fishing anymore. My experiences are it's really tapered off since the good ole days. But the show is still good. First off if you go make sure you watch a guy I like to call the Doctor. He's about 70 years old looks like he's been in the wind the last 25 of it and where's a trench coat. Now what makes the doctor special is he uses an orange sponge to fish with but everytime he goes to cast the fly its somehow wiped onto something he has in his coat. Fishing could be slow but once the magical swipe is made the Doctor catches fish. Now the Doctor has the last couple years got himself a rookie he's bringing up to speed. The guy isn't as slick with the swipe but given a few years I imagine he'll be a pro like the old man. Now there are always the group of guys that show up with big lures to fish with. Now I have yet to see these guys ever catch a fish but I have seen some of the longest casts in fishing history. Finally theres the family guy he's the guy that talks his wife into coming fishing with him with the kids. He shows up gets out of the car and the 30mph wind blasts him in the face and the wife starts to *****. The fishing trip normally lasts about 30 minutes if shes a doll maybe 45 before he's packed up and headed for home.

Now for the good stuff. The spinney opener is one of those fly fishing mysteries. I am guilty of this myself. No one will tell you jack **** on what to use. Obviously with the hundred of responses to this post I think you see what I mean. My experiences are there is no one spot better than any other. Normally the first day or 2 it opens it's a no stop fish fest. So here is my suggestion the first day or 2 glow bugs and or orange scuds are all you need. Now i tie a special orange scud for spinney not sure it makes a difference but i think it does. After those 2 flies red flies seem to be the ticket. For years I told everyone there i was using a red san juan worm until the day i threw one on and realized i was catching a lot of fish on a fly i was trying to throw people as bait to leave me alone. Olive Scuds also great pattern for the opener. I fish big size 12-14 is normally what i use. Now i have gone to an 18 sometimes and done great. Like Rottal said a red tube midge works well. A large breadcrust has worked well for me. Best hour I've ever had at spinney I used a size 12 bead headed hares ear. I landed 14 fish in an hour. Pheasant tails work. I haven't gone the leech/wooley bugger route but i see guys slay them in the shallows with them so i'm sure they work.

I fish from the bank. I normally fish 6-8 feet under an indicator with a weight in between my 2 flies.

So you might ask what kinda fly fisher am I. Well at Spinney the last few years my buddy brings his motorhome in and I fish till i get cold and then normally make breakfast for my friends out fishing. Oh one other piece of information. The guys that help you net your fish rally aren't trying to help you land a fish they just want to see what you are using. Good Luck come say hey if you see the motorhome out there.....

Fish

·
Registered
193 Posts
Well obviously he's putting something on the fly and I'd bet my last dollar it isn't fly sink gel. But hell the guys like 900 years old so I get a kick out of watching him. I will say I've never seen him keep a fish so no harm no foul.....

·
Registered
193 Posts
Well I didn't know my story was going to create such a stir here. I guess if you've ever fished Spinney for the opener you see so many abuses of a sport I love. Guys walking up into your back pocket to fish cause he thinks you have the hot spot.... Guys keeping fish that are questionable at best at making 20"..... Guys throwing bobbers teh size of my head to fish with... So yeah this guy cheats teh system. I guess I should pick up my gear and lose my spot to the 40 other morons waiting to get the hot spot so I can go tell on him. Seriously what does that solve? Like I said earlier if he was killing fish thats one thing but more often than not he fustrates most the other anglers into leaving or takign a break. So I guess if you are there I have described this guy pretty well he's not hard to spot. Go tell on him at least for me he's always been friendly and has a sense of humility this sport has long lost.

Fish

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.