Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just need some info on a fly rod that im thinking on purchasing. Im new to fly fishing and a friend of mine has a rod for sale. It is a Fenwick Ironfeather 9" 6wt 4 piece he only used it twice looks brand new. Has a nice silk cloth that the pieces slide into and a cool aluminum and brass tube. The tube still as the price tag on it that says 479.00 dollars. A real cool looking set up.  I don't know anything about fly rods any info on this rod will help me out alot. He ask me what I want to give him for it, he is a good friend of mine and I don't want to steel it from him, but i don't want to be ripped off either. And do they have warranties? I heard alot of high end rods have lifetime warranties.

C

·
0 Posts
I fished Fenwick for a while both fly and spin but had problems with breakage. I am not sure on their rod policy now but I imagine it is good. I would call the factory to verify warranty.

They are a very great feeling rods but I changed because of breakage. I still fish several of the ones I have had for spin fishing but my 2 fly rods broke a long time ago.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I have a fenwick HMG that I got as a birthday gift in the late 80's.  Fenwick used to be a top-of-the-line rod.  But many other companies have continued to inovate while Fenwick makes the same 'ol product.  I fished my HMG for a long time before casting my first Sage in the late 90's.  There is no comparison.  I still have my Fenwick and loan it out to friends who have never cast before.  Otherwise, I stick with my newer rods which are easier to cast and much more effective.

FYI - Temple Fork Outfitters makes a nice 9' 6wt 2 piece rod for $89 new with lifetime warranty. I would take the TFO over a Fenwick any day.

TP

B

·
0 Posts
I would agree with troutpocket. Have never used the TFO but have heard a lot of good things about it. $479.00 sounds like a very high list price for a Fenwick.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Fenwick is a low end rod. don't know about their quality but 479$ is not the price of a Fenwick rod. I would check online. It might have been a sage rod tube.

T

·
0 Posts
nothing against the fenwick rod, but if he lets it go under a $100 bucks then i would consider it. but what is the rod exactly a 6wt, you mention oz.
i do not think they have a long term no conditions warranty but that could easily be verified by browsing the web on fenwicks site, but be sure to know the exact details of the rod - model for sure. also find a fenwick dealer in colorado and ask them.
a new rod under $100 from anyone will not have a warranty - from my shopping rods for a few years. so $100 bucks buys that.
now if you have to buy this rod for more like $200 and up, i would consider not and look at new rods with warranties. orvis rods are what i use and their clearwater model and power matrix rods go from $175 up to $320. i have 4 in each model and they all have a 25 year unconditional warranty in that they will replace or fix for free (you have to pay shipping). i know other rods like sage, temple fork and st croix all offer similar but i am not as exact on the specifics. Rottal one of our moderators and an experienced fly fisherman with fly shop retail experience can surely offer details on some alternative brands/models.
but all in all i would know what your money can buy and what you are buying before dealing.
good luck and let us know what you end up doing.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Actually, the Fenwick Ironfeather is an extremely nice rod. It was built for the European market and depending on which model it is, the price ranges from $280 to $500.00.

·
Registered
368 Posts
That is a lot of money for a new hobey (habit). I would suggest a Redinton. The Crosswater series, one year warrenty (99.00 for the combo) or the Redfly combo (Lifetiime warrenty) for 150.00. You will get a great rod to learn on and not worry about the cost when you are or aren't catching fish.

I would thank your friend, but look further and cheaper. I think you will be happier.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I use a 9' graphite rod I bought from Cabelas several years ago for $99. Maybe some of the higher priced rods work better, but I wouldn't know cause I never fished one. Mine works fine. I like the 9' rod over shorter ones for nymph fishing and just because it's better for long leader/tippet (the fly line stays outside the end rod eye). I have had rods seperate where the sections attach while casting. Therefore, I would stay away from a 4 or 5 piece rod unless it's for a back pack rod. I have a four piece rod for back packing and it comes apart from time to time.

·
Registered
935 Posts
One of my favorite fly rods is a 7'6" 4wt Pfleuger I use for small streams. Cost $39.99 - nice action, smooth, long casts.

N

·
0 Posts
Fenwick is a low end rod. don't know about their quality but 479$ is not the price of a Fenwick rod. I would check online. It might have been a sage rod tube.
Actually fenwick does make high end rods and the Ironfeather is one of them.

Take others advice and but a TFO or a Redy. There are plenty of great new rods that are a better buy, think about a scott v2, or a low end sage, maybe an orvis.
But first and foremost spend some money on a rod(if you are serious about flyfishing), you won't regret it.

If your buddy will take 75 or 80 maybe 90 for it... pick it up, otherwise look around.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok got lucky the friend that has the fly rod, his monitor went out and I had a extra lcd monitor sitting here that I have not used for about 4 months and he traded me for the rod. So all I need now is get a good reel for it any suggestions?

This is a sweet ass rod, you would have to see it to appreciate it!

·
Registered
46 Posts
I would suggest a Pfleuger Trion. A great reel for the money. I have seen them at Sportamsn's for $80. I own two of them. A great drag system. There is a gentleman out of the springs that sells them on E-bay. You might be able to pick one up there for a little less money. For less money,an Okuma is not a bad reel. Very popular. I have not used one but do see alot of them out there and have not heard anyone complain about them. Just my 2 cents

·
Registered
113 Posts
As long as you don't have any plans to fish the salt, Okuma reels will do the job. If you are looking for something that will handle salt conditions and fish, I'd be checking out a Cortland LTD large arbor, Orvis Battenkill mid-arbor, or a Teton Tioga. All of those are in the $100-$130 range but will last a long time.

TP

1 - 14 of 14 Posts