Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am from Tulsa and have spent several times fly fishing and vacationing in the Park, and at least half the time on the west side. I am amazed and perplexed at the lack of fly shops on the west side, especially with all of the great water on the Colo. in and below the Park, and the great fishing in the Park. There was not a single fly fishing shop in Grand Lake, or a dedicated shop in Granby. So, what gives, and is this a need or desire in that area?

·
Registered
271 Posts
To be honest I don't think owning a flyshop now days is the best thing to do.  Within the past couple years there have been at least 4 or 5 shops in town that have closed because of hard times.  I can't even imagine trying to make ends meet in an area that is largely driving by tourism.   I would be way too scared to even try, but that's just me.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Your best bet for next time will be to either stop in Estes Park or Loveland before comming up the hill to the park, or you come via I-70 to Siverthorne and stop at one of the many fly shops in Siverthorne (Cutthroat Anglers is the newest and nicest). Either that or just make sure you are stocked up before you make the trip.

·
Registered
24 Posts
BigRedFan's got it right. The shop in Tabernash closed down this summer. There are getting to be less and less shops all the time. There is a new one in Fraser if you were on the west side and really desperate. It's pretty small but the owners were nice. I was in there this summer before I got into tying. The open sign was on last saturday (1/28) when I went by.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
I think the problem with most fly/bait shops is not having a proper business model... Most of them are fisherman who think it would be great to own their own shop. Then they put too much into inventory with not enough customer base. Seriously how many custom 9 WT or 3 WT flyrods do you need in a store in Colorado? For some reason they have 5+ at some of them... After digging yourself a hole it is sometimes hard to get back out. I think a flyshop on the west side of RMNP is a great idea, but to survive it would have to be smart.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts