Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
Was wondering if you guys can help me out. Im just curious on what type of glue was used. Just thought I pick up a new hobby and start tyin flies.. Any point in Direction would be greatly appreciated..!

Thanks,
Steve

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Re: Fly tying Glue

If the glue you are talking about is head cement, i use a few different types, but they are mostly the same....but be sure to thin it liberally with head cement thinner, if you dont it wont penetrate the threads and will peel off. i use about a 40/60 mix (40 percent thinner, 60 percent head cement) and apply it liberally, but be sure to try to keep it off the materials or it will clump. also try to keep it off the threads on the cap of your container, or it might glue shut.

For my larger flies or saltwater stuff i use superglue.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts

I like penetrating glues, or as Rottal has said, the thinner ones. A 50/50 mixture (or 60/40 as above) is about right.

BTW, you are on your way to never picking up your spinning rod again. I haven't thrown mine away, but I'm a lot better with the flyrod.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Lol - Yeah Im getting pretty close.. Soon my friend soon..!

ROTTAL, SILICONE BOY - Thanks for the help.. Is there something/Type of glue I should stay away from?

·
Registered
9,193 Posts

I use the whip finish also, but I usually put a dab of the head cement on just for backup I guess. When I'm out of head cement, I've used model airplan glue, it works great as long as you have the kind that isn't water soluable.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Thanks KIMO. Yeah I was online last night and read through a few articles that were previously posted. Thanks, I'll have to learn how to Whip Finish Now..

Thanks for all the great help.
-Steve

·
Registered
180 Posts

You can get a whip finish tool, actually there are two different kinds that I'm aware of, and you can do it by hand. I'd recomend learning both ways, with the tool and by hand. Sometimes it's tough to whip finish a bead head with the tool, this is where doing it by hand helps.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

What would you guys recommend me starting on. I mean Which type of fly should I start on for basic?

·
Registered
9,193 Posts

A real easy nymph is an rs2, you need 3 things, Microfibbets (I hope I spelled that right) for the tail, grey thread for the body, and some grey antron for the wing case. I use them on all the rivers so they are real good to have too, usually size 18. Not just in grey, but in all colors, it's a real simple fly to tie, takes me only a ocuple of minutes per fly for those now, and you can practice your whip finishes on them.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Anybody else out there using plain ol' super glue for big thread heads? Wasn't too keen on the water soluble head cement. Any suggestions on that? I'm just tying wooly buggers right now, but I know you're supposed to use it. I learned about the pulling the unused hackle through the head to keep the eye clean, and that's ok, but I'm clueless as to how to properly head cement. Should I use the non-water soluble stuff with the thinner?

Thanks, guys!

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
FISHNPHIL - Sorry for such a late reply, thanks for helping me out. I will forsure try and type that good ol RS2 as well. For some reason, I love that Olive color.. I guess because my friend who got me into fly fishing, he told me to use pick me up an Olive RS2 and it was been very productive for me.. So Thanks again, I will forsure try my luck in tying that type of Fly.

FISHINGAL - What Im using is 50 Thinner and 50 Head cement.. I wasnt sure on how the guys did it but I bought a bottle of each and bought an empty container.. I poured 50% of Thinner into empty container and then poured 50% of Head cement into both of the bottles giving each container 50% of the head cement.. LOL ( I honestly dont think this is right but so far its been working well for me ) [All, please correct me if Im Wrong with how Im mixing this ]

·
Registered
680 Posts
the head cement I use doesn't need thinning.
troutsman-all purpose head cement.
from sportsmans.
its almost water its so thin. it soaks into the thread nice. leaving a natural looking finish(not shiny)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts